Help with Crankandstein 2S adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbrau

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just got an unused Crankandstein 2 roller and am cleaning it up. Was hoping to adjust the gap, but have no idea how. I get the impression you're supposed to manually rotate the bearings or remove them and turn them that way, but I don't want to go pounding on it without knowing what I'm doing first. I emailed Dr. Crankandstein but I'm hoping someone might be on here to help me out while I've got it in front of me.

Cheers!

If it's the 2S (the basic, entry level mill): " Dual eccentric bearings can be removed, turned and locked back in place to adjust gap. Factory preset .045" Adjustment ranges from .025" to .065". "

Cheers!

Hmm, not sure about removing these bearings. They're in there pretty good. It's already at 0.039 according to my feeler gauge.

Whatever they're set for, the test is to run a half pound through the mill and check the crush. If it looks good you're golden as is.
That said, and while knurling patterns vary, .039" seems coarse for barley. I run a herms rig and run my CK 2-roller with an .032" gap for barley...

Cheers!

Got it done w/ instructions from Crankandstein. No problem. Here are the official instructions, for you future forum searchers:

2S: This mill is designed with a gap that can be changed from or reset to the factory setting of .045” by rotating the
idler roller’s eccentric bushings in the frames. Remove the rollers from the frames, loosen the setscrews, pencil in
match marks on the bushings and frames, and drive out the bushings with a hammer and a socket or rod that’s just
smaller than 1/2” in diameter, into a 5/8”+ hole in a piece of wood. Rotate the bushings from the match mark to
make the gap wider or narrower. Partially press them back in, put in the rollers and check the gap with feeler
gauges. Readjust as necessary. Drive in the bushings leaving a slight offset of about .015” to the inside to act as a
thrust bearing and prevent the outer diameter of the roller from dragging against the frame. Tighten the setscrews,
re-assemble and mount the mill back on its base and hopper.

Latest posts

Back