Help with coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
O.k. I brewed up a Brooklyn Brown Clone a couple of weeks ago. Tasted pretty good going over into the secondary but it was way way too pale thanks I think to the fact that I used extra light dme instead of light dme. Anyway one of my favorite browns is Rogue Hazelnut Brown and I'm thinking of adding a little hazelnut coffee to my brooklyn brown clone just to give it some of that flavor as well as some coffee. Question is.. How much do I add? I'm planning to add it straight from my favorite coffeehouse by picking up a cup on the way out of work. Anyone have thoughts on how much I should add to the secondary for a 5 gallon batch to give this a decent subtle hazelnut flavor? Thanks for your opinions and advice!!

That depends wholly on how hazelnutty this coffee is. I've never used flavored coffees in beer before, but I'd start out with a few cups, stir it up, take a small sample, taste it, and see how it is. If it's not strong enough, add more. But start small...you can always add more, but you can't take any back out.

Evan! said:
That depends wholly on how hazelnutty this coffee is. I've never used flavored coffees in beer before, but I'd start out with a few cups, stir it up, take a small sample, taste it, and see how it is. If it's not strong enough, add more. But start small...you can always add more, but you can't take any back out.

Sounds reasonable.. Think I'm going to start with a large cup tonight.. About 20oz and see if I can taste it in there... I guess if I need more I'll pick up another on the way out tomorrow! Thanks!

I would'nt add any more coffee than 20 oz. per five gallons. Too much coffee is a quick way to ruin a good batch of beer. Trust me, I know from experience. What about a few drops of hazlenut extract to go with that coffee. Adding a little bit at a time will keep you from going to far with that flavor.

also bear in mind that coffee beans contain oils, and the hazelnut flavoring in the coffee might also contain oils.

those oils can easily destroy any head the beer might produce when pour.
certain coffee beans have way less oil, like Sumatran beans.

definitely go easy...you can always add more.

just a thought...

could you buy ground coffee beans and cold-brew the coffee yourself? This way, you will not get any harsh flavors that come from brewing coffee. throw a pot of water and some ground beans in the fridge for a few days, then strain out the grounds and add it to the beer.

i always like a pronounced flavor, so i would go with 40oz. (1/2 a pot) or so of coffee. good luck!

Back