Help with choosing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
Looking for a little guidance, mostly on hops for this recipe. I did a version of this recipe last year using magnum as the bittering hop and citra for flavor and aroma. Through a comedy of errors I never got to taste the beer finished, but the post fermentation hydrometer sample was a total tropical fruit bomb. There was no bitterness at all and it was cloyingly sweet. The only flavor coming through was tropical fruit, mango and pine apple. It was like drinking a glass of mango juice. That version was a 5G batch and used. 75 oz magnum @ 60, .25 oz magnum @ 45, 1 oz citra @ 5, and 1 oz citra @ yeast pitch.

For this version I'm trying to get a little more nuance and hop flavor complexity and am thinking of trying mandarina Bavaria for my dry hop addition but am not sure if I should use them for the 5 minute addition or if I should use something like cascade or something else entirely? Open to other suggestions as well. I've also thought about reducing the amount of honey malt down to maybe 4-5 oz?

The recipe:
Sunny Day Pale Ale

Batch size: 3.25 G
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.012
IBU: 29
SRM: 6

Grains:
6# pilsner
7 oz honey malt?
5 oz 10L Munich malt
12 oz white wheat malt

Hops:
.5 oz magnum @ 60
.6 oz cascade @ 5?
1 oz mandarina Bavaria dry hop for 5 days added either @ yeast pitch or @ high krausen, or split into 2 separate additions?

Yeast: omega labs hornindal kveik

Thanks and cheers!

Looking for a little guidance, mostly on hops for this recipe. I did a version of this recipe last year using magnum as the bittering hop and citra for flavor and aroma. Through a comedy of errors I never got to taste the beer finished, but the post fermentation hydrometer sample was a total tropical fruit bomb. There was no bitterness at all and it was cloyingly sweet. The only flavor coming through was tropical fruit, mango and pine apple. It was like drinking a glass of mango juice. That version was a 5G batch and used. 75 oz magnum @ 60, .25 oz magnum @ 45, 1 oz citra @ 5, and 1 oz citra @ yeast pitch.

For this version I'm trying to get a little more nuance and hop flavor complexity and am thinking of trying mandarina Bavaria for my dry hop addition but am not sure if I should use them for the 5 minute addition or if I should use something like cascade or something else entirely? Open to other suggestions as well. I've also thought about reducing the amount of honey malt down to maybe 4-5 oz?

The recipe:
Sunny Day Pale Ale

Batch size: 3.25 G
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.012
IBU: 29
SRM: 6

Grains:
6# pilsner
7 oz honey malt?
5 oz 10L Munich malt
12 oz white wheat malt

Hops:
.5 oz magnum @ 60
.6 oz cascade @ 5?
1 oz mandarina Bavaria dry hop for 5 days added either @ yeast pitch or @ high krausen, or split into 2 separate additions?

Yeast: omega labs hornindal kveik

Thanks and cheers!

In my experience mandarina Bavaria has been very subtle...I used it in a Kolsch two or three years ago...didn't really do it for me.

I just brewed a batch with Mouteka and Pacifica was very happy with mix.

In my experience mandarina Bavaria has been very subtle...I used it in a Kolsch two or three years ago...didn't really do it for me.

I just brewed a batch with Mouteka and Pacifica was very happy with mix.
How much did you use?

How much did you use?

according to my brew log I used an ounce at 10 min. 1 ounce at flameout and then dry hop with a mix of MB and Magnum for 3 days.

why did I do this? I don't have a clue but according to my tasting notes it was malty on the nose with slight citrus at the back end of the sip.

Update: man this beer is awesome! I ended up going with citra and galaxy for my flavor and aroma hops and magnum for bittering. Grain bill
6# pilsner
12 oz red wheat
5 oz Munich 10L
5 oz honey malt

Hops
.44 oz magnum @ 60
.6 oz citra @ 10
1 oz galaxy & .4 oz citra @ yeast pitch

Yeast: wyeast 1318
Way over shot my efficiency and ended up with an OG of 1.068 and FG of 1.013 so 7.2% ABV, but this beer is dangerously easy to drink. Smooth medium bodied, slightly dry in the finish but with enough sweetness to balance. Just the right amount of bitterness and amazing grapefruit, citrus aroma and flavor with very subtle peach flavors in the finish as it warms up. Hazier than I was going for, but I'm ok with that, might clear a little with some more time in the fridge, but whatever it probably won't last that long anyway! 😃

Thanks again for the advice. Cheers!

Not that you can’t or even shouldn’t, but adding hops at yeast pitch seems a little wasteful. I imagine you’re losing some of the aroma as some of those oils and compounds are carried up and away with fermentation. Therefore, you could get more mileage from adding hops towards the end of fermentation.

Back