Help with cascade hops transplanting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
OK, so these are 3rd year hops in Jacksonville, FL (North FL). Last year was a good yield. I am moving in a month, so in Mid-March I dug up the rootball (well, most of it) and planted it in a planter. The idea is that when I move, I'll replant it in the ground at the new house.

So I have a bunch of shoots coming up (see pic) and am wondering if I should cut some of these back or what the best option is. I have kinda just let them grow the past two years, but I believe you should limit the number of bines coming from a single plant.

IMG_2082-2.jpg

You normally should cut back the first growth. Since you are moving and transplanting I would leave it. Small roots are developing in the soil and will reduce transplant shock Cheers Glen

well, there was a HUGE root system that i transplanted to the planter, so there should be plenty of roots already. I did NOT cut/transplant rhizomes, I transplanted the entire plant (well, most of it.)

Back