Help with Calculating Water Additions for NYC Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg L

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple of times and I'd like to learn more about water/mineral adjustments for my next brew. I haven't sent a report out to get my water tested, but I'm using this 2017 NYC Water report (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate17.pdf) as a base guide to learn.

I've read that the Chloride/Sulfate ratio is a key indicator in determining maltiness/bitterness profiles - more specifically for NEIPA's that favor higher Chloride levels, a ballpark ratio of 175 ppm Chloride/100 ppm Sulfate would be ideal (1.75:1 ratio). https://beerandbrewing.com/unlock-the-secrets-of-new-england-style-ipas/

Unfortunately, I don't have Microsoft Excel to use those water calculators.

My questions:
See below for base water profile/recipe.

1. Should I even do any mineral adjustments to this water profile for this target NEIPA brew?
2. If yes to #1, in order to achieve this 1.75:1 (175ppm/100ppm) Chloride/Sulfate ratio, how much Gypsum / Calcium Chloride would I need to add?
3. Do I add the minerals to both the mash and sparge water? Or is the water adjustment intended just for the mash water?

Desired Style for Next Brew:
NE IPA

Base Water Profile:
Calcium (mg/L): 7.3
Magnesium (mg/L): 1.7
Sodium (mg/L): 12
Chloride (mg/L): 18
Sulfate (mg/L): 5.1
Alkalinity (mg/L CaCO3): 19.2
Hardness (mg/L CaCO3): 25

Target Water Profile:

Calcium (mg/L): 144
Chloride (mg/L): 175
Sulfate (mg/L): 100

Target Residual Alkalinity: -100
Target SRM: 4-4.5
Target Mash pH: 5.3-5.4

Malt Bill:
85% U.S. Pale 2-Row Malt
10% Flaked Oats
5% Cara-Pils

Hops:
Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado

There are freeware options for running a spreadsheet. Check out Libre Office. It is one of the better options.

That tap water is really well suited for brewing. That NEIPA profile is okay , but I would cut the sulfate lower than that.

Welcome aboard Greg. I'm on Long Island and use tap water, though I haven't made NEIPA.
Brewer's Friend has on online water calculator. Keep us posted, good luck with your brew.

There may be precious few things that NYC has to be proud of but their water is definitely one of them. It is the envy of municipalities around the world.

It is not sufficient to establish a certain chloride to sulfate level. Each ion must be at the level required for whatever your goals are. There is a sticky on this subject here. Also check the water treatment section of the article you linked.
We have come to realize that RA is pretty meaningless when used for other than what it was intended for (comparing water supplies) and thus do not even calculate it any more.

Forget about profiles and, for the time being, spreadsheets. Add half a tsp of CaCl2 to each 5 gallons of water treated and brew the beer (using about 3% sauermalz to get mash pH right). Taste the beer. Taste it again with additiomal CaCl2 added to the glass, with some CaSO4 added to the glass. Try different combinations. See which tastes best to you. Use the amounts added to guide you with respect to additions to the water for your next brew. Keep experimenting. In this way you will eventually find the amounts of sulfate and chloride required for the best beer. Do not be at all concerned if the ratio does not correspond to what someone has told you is proper for this beer.

Back