Help with bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven85

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle 5 gallons of a Belgian blonde, and I noticed a lot of stuff (orange zest and crushed coriander mostly) floating near the top of the carboy. Can I sanitize a coffee filter and pass the beer through the filter before bottling? I am just concerned about the yeast not passing through the filter (I still need then for carbing in the bottle). Can I do this, or is there a better way to get the pieces filtered out? Thanks.

I'm about to bottle 5 gallons of a Belgian blonde, and I noticed a lot of stuff (orange zest and crushed coriander mostly) floating near the top of the carboy. Can I sanitize a coffee filter and pass the beer through the filter before bottling? I am just concerned about the yeast not passing through the filter (I still need then for carbing in the bottle). Can I do this, or is there a better way to get the pieces filtered out? Thanks.

Do you plan on racking to a bottling bucket?

Get a paint strainer bag or hops bag, sanitize it, and put it over the end of your racking cane. This way you don't need to disrupt the beer and can siphon to your bottling bucket like normal. You can either soak the bag in sanitizer or boil it for 10min or so. I choose the latter.

Get a paint strainer bag or hops bag, sanitize it, and put it over the end of your racking cane. This way you don't need to disrupt the beer and can siphon to your bottling bucket like normal. You can either soak the bag in sanitizer or boil it for 10min or so. I choose the latter.

This is what I would do... and have done before. The coffee filter won't allow the beer to pass through it at a very fast rate... you would be there for hours.

ok, i think I'll try using a hops bag over around the racking cane/tube, that's better than the coffee filter idea. thanks for the help!

If the stuff is floating on or near the surface, just rack slowly. The stuff will float down with the level of the top of the beer, and most of it will stick in the trub, or you can just pull the autosiphon out leaving it behind.

I've never filtered just racked carefully.

Back