help with black pipe draft tower, lines twist on assembly!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently made a second serving setup for British ales, pictured below. It's modeled after this build. I'm having trouble getting the tap handles just right (not loose, and vertical) without the lines twisting too much when assembling it.

I haven't dis-assembled it yet since my initial attempt, where one line works but the tap is loose, and the other line is twisted and doesn't work. I will try again this week, since the shank nut holds the tap handle securely in place I think my only option is to just count the number of twists to that 2"-1" reducer piece that tap mounts to when I unscrew it, then give the line the same number of twists in the opposite direction, then secure the shank nut and screw it all back together and hope the lines end up happy this time around.

Also now that I think of it i'm using cheapo 3/16 food grade draft lines with thinner walls than the standard stuff, that may be part of the issue.

If there are any other suggestions i'm all ears.

Attachments

• IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
I have an iron pipe tower similar to yours. To avoid the twisting you will need to assemble everything from the faucet to the keg...NOT from the keg to the faucet. Basically assemble it backwards.

Attach shank to bushing securely so it won't come loose. Attach beer line to shank (I had 15' of line when I did this). Now run line through elbow and screw shank/bushing assembly to elbow making sure to untwist lines as you're going. Repeat on other side. Run line through tee and screw assembly again ensuring lines are straight. It's a real PITA but you'll get there eventually.:mug:

I found opening the faucet and blowing through the line at each step helped ensure things stayed clear.

To avoid the twisting you will need to assemble everything from the faucet to the keg...NOT from the keg to the faucet. Basically assemble it backwards.

That is a great idea, thanks for the tip. I didn't do it that way as I was trying to run the lines inside 1/2" copper pipe to get cold transfer from the fridge to prevent foaming, and I ran the copper almost all the way to the shank! I didn't see your message until now but I spent and hour and got this sorted last night. I ended up pulling off the end, tightening the shank nuts well, then just counter-twisting the lines a few times. The key change was I ended up sticking a small wedge of folded paper into the threads for that reducer piece, so it ended up taking just 2 turns to get nice and tight, instead of 5. Both lines were pouring great and I hope I don't have to mess with them for a LONG time! If I do i'll just use a straight piece of copper up the center of the tower and skip the elbows, and do it your way, tap to keg.

Cheers!

Glad you got it sorted!

I ran copper in mine too. Basically same method as above except line, steel pipe then copper pipe each segment at a time. I'm using 2" diameter steel so it's big enough for me to get my fingers in and work the copper elbows around or hold to push fit any long straight runs

Glad you got it sorted!

I ran copper in mine too. Basically same method as above except line, steel pipe then copper pipe each segment at a time. I'm using 2" diameter steel so it's big enough for me to get my fingers in and work the copper elbows around or hold to push fit any long straight runs

Hey Chuggles, so you ran copper pipe inside the steel pipe and the beer line inside the copper pipe?

Do you notice an appreciable difference from adding the copper lining vs no lining and using a fan blowing up the tower?

Back