Help with Amylase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
Folks,

A few weeks ago I started a dark ale batch. I had picked up the recipe from my local brew shop.The grain bill was mostly two row with a little Cara Munich and chocolate malt thrown in. The yeast was Wyeast Irish ale yeast. The recipe also called for amylase enzyme.

It didn't make any sense to me that I should have to use it so I asked some of the more experience Brewers in my brew guild for their opinions. They were evenly split as to whether I should use it or not. I decided to split my 7 1/2 gallon batch into a 5 gallon batch and a 2 1/2 gallon batch. I added about 1/2 tsp of amylase to the smaller batch. The results were impressive. The fermentation took off much faster in the smaller batch, and went much further. The larger batch went from 1074 to 1010, which was exactly on target. The smaller batch went all the way to 1002, which is dryer than I wanted.
So this is where things went sideways. I combined the two batches into one large carboy for secondary. Suddenly it starts bubbling again. Am I going to end up with 7 1/2 gallons of a very dry, thin dark ale? If so, can I add a little lactose and maltodextrin to bring the body and the sweetness back?

Much appreciation for your thoughts

The bubbling may just be CO2 release after the transfer. If the enzyme is still active, then yes it will thin the beer out. You can try adding some lactose or malto, but make sure you boil it in a thicker solution first to sanitize. Try it before you add anything.

Back