Help with Acid Test Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
Ok..yesterday made 5 gal of Melrlot and 5 gal ot Vino Rosso from Alexander Sun Country concentrate and plan to mix it with a blackberry medium body wine.

The kit has a 3 cc syringe and my reading was .10 (amount of reagent used) when the color changed to gray (took it twice) for the Merlot. The instructions said to times .10 by 1.6 to get the ppt sulfuric level, which was .16. for a fruit wine the ppt should be around 3.6 to 4.2. So if I am reading it right would have to raise it by 3.44 and that would be around 18.7 tsp of Acid blend. This to me is way to much Acid Blend, so I kust used 3 tsp in the Merlot and 4 tsp in the vino Rosso. Any help you guys could throw my way would appricate it...

I'm not sure I'm understanding. You did the acid titration kit, and are looking at sulfuric levels?

Kits are already balanced when you get them, and you never have to add acid to them. Three teaspoons of acid blend in a 6 gallon batch is a LOT.

yes ppt sulfuric levels it was .10 if do the % of Tartaric is is .10 times .25 for a reading of 0.25...

It sounds to me like you are measuring TA or Total Acid. I've used this type of kit before. You add the buffer until the solution turns blue or purple. This is why it is rather difficult to use with red wine. Though TA and pH are not exactly the same, I've taken to just measuring pH. For a Merlot you would want your pH to be around 3.4-3.6.

Perhaps this link might be helpful. It does discuss the use of the titration kit you appear to be using.
How to measure acidity (T.A.) in wine - grapestompers

In reading the instructions, gray is also a color to expect. I agree that that does seem to be too much acid to add. Once you've added too much, it is very difficult to go back. Consider adding a much smaller amount, the go back and re-test. I'd suggest getting a pH meter. I use the Hana pHep 5.

. Perhaps this link might be helpful. It does discuss the use of the titration kit you appear to be using. [url=http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/measure_acidity.htm said:
How to measure acidity (T.A.) in wine - grapestompers[/url]

This is the method I use to test my blueberry wine. Very easy to understand.

Yes read the grapestompers link but still confused. The thing is with the Alexander Sun Country Concentrate you do have to adjust with Acid blend. The directions said to use anywhere from 10 tsp to -2tsp..So I used three tsp for the Melot and 4 tsp for the Vino Rosso. Several months back used three cans of this product for the Melot and Vino Roso and used 5 tso on them which I thne blended with blackberry at a 50/50 mix...Think used too much on that batch, but time will tell.

If you've over acidified one batch, you can blend some of it with other wines. The good news is that you will need very little sulfite to protect it.

Yes was going to do that with the last batch I made and mixed with the blackberry so will just mix it by the bottle as I consume it....Will be doing a batch of Gewurztraminer (three cans) and a batch of French Colombard again using three cans and will cut way back on the Acid Blend when I do...

Being Type A person I re-tested the Vino Rosso and this time used 2.0cc of the regeant and it came to 50% total Acid so I will leave both the Vino Rosso and the Merlot alone...Think the problem was I was not using enough of the regeant and only getting a parital color change so it gave me a false reading....Thanks for all the feed back..

Back