Help with a plain beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
ok, I'm planning a new batch of beer of 3 gallon. I would like to add fruit extract to this beer (or maybe chili peppers, ginger, spices...etc..) so I cut back on aroma hops and flavor hops. Is it a good idea? Should I try it?

Here's the recipe so far (based on my inventory):

Full boil, extract added at bottling.
0.080kg Crystal 80L steeping grain
2kg LME
0.020kg Cluster hops, 4.5%AA, 60min (or East kent golding or Fuggle)
Safale S-05 yeast

I would watch adding fruit extract to the bottle. It could cause a lot more carbonation than you want leading to bottle bombs.
Add it to the secondary where the flavour won't be scrubbed out with the primary fermentation gases.

I haven't found a fruit extract I really liked. You might consider one of those 3lb can's of puree that most LHBS's sell.

what kinda IBU's are you getting with those cluster hops? I'd say don't exceed 15 IBU's, with 10 probably being the lower range.

So far, there are no LHBS who sell fruit puree (I'm in Canada). And same thing in grocery stores. I haven't checked at Food Health Stores yet but I doubt they have any. I'll keep on looking I guess, because me neither I don't like fruit extract that much..

You say 10-15 IBU is recommended? I get 24 IBU into beertools, so maybe I'll decrease the amount of hops to 0.010kg..?

Back