Help with a hops bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
I am trying to put together a Golden Ale OG ~1.065 - FG ~1.016

Target IBU ~45

I have not worked with a hop bill this varried before and just wanted to get some feedback. I know the IBU is on target, more looking for thoughts on order and duration of schedule.

Boil
.5 oz. Centennial pellets 8.7% 60 minutes
1 oz. Willamette leaf 4.7% 30 minutes
2 oz. Styrian Golding pellets 3.8% 30 minutes
.5 oz. Centennial pellets 8.7% 15 minutes
Dry
1 oz. Cascade leaf 7.8% 7 days in secondary
1 oz. Sterling leaf 7.0% 7 days in secondary

I have found that dry hopping without any aroma hops in the boil is very disappointing. If you want to stick with the overall bill, I'd move the Styrian Golding to five minutes.

Thanks U 2. Appreciate the advice David!

I ran it through brew calc for the IBU # I cited. Just looking for someone with more hop combining experience than me.

Maybe if I briefly explain how I got here it would help. I want to mimick the hop character of NB's Hoptober (but grain bill is a bit different). Site lists Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Glacier, Willamette. Glacier was not available (surprise) and opted for the styrian goldings. Still on the fence between that and plain US fuggles. From there my thoughts were:
Boil:
Centennial for its clean bittering, but some later to try and capture a bit of the floral.
Styrian as a character on the bitter side (Per David, this one is already getting changed)
Willamette as a character on the bitter
Dry:
Cascade - for the west coast hop head effect
Sterling - some floral earthy
(considering taking .5 oz. from each and moving .6 to last 5 of boil and .4 to FWH)

Back