Help with a Hefeweizen recipe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im fairly new to home brewing and gonna brew my first batch by BIAB way .
Could anyone share a good Hefeweizen recipe ..

i saw a recipe only and was wondering if i could replace the white wheat with German Wheat malt .. also i dont know how much of these ingredients il need for a 3 gallon batch ?

http://biabbrewing.com/brew-sessions/hefeweizen/

this is the recipe i saw online .

Here is my weizenbier recipe. My wife is from Germany and her father only drinks weizenbier. The first time he had a bottle of my beer he skeptically took a sip then got a huge smile on his face. "This is what weizenbier used to taste like!" I'll take that as a compliment. He gets here in a month so I have two batches going today (I am messing around with temp a bit). I like my weizenbier to be a bit malty hence the Caramunich and melanoiden.

SG 1.053
FG 1.012
IBU13.56

Grain bill
6# White wheat
3# German Pils
1# Caramunich
0.5# melanoiden
Mash at 152F

0.75oz of HH at 60 min
0.5oz Tettnang at 30 min

WYeast 3068
I prefer to ferment at 63-64F as I like more cloviness than banana.

I am guessing the German Wheat you mentioned is probably White wheat, it is generally the de facto wheat variety used in brewing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Oh yeah, this is for a 5.5 gallons batch at 80% mash efficiency. To scale to 3 gallons multiply all the values by 0.545. You will need to factor in your brew house efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yes, use German wheat malt. If a recipe wants unmalted wheat, it will specify. This is usually in the form of torrified wheat which is unmalted wheat that has been heated and "popped" similar to popped corn, converting the starch.

Here is my weizenbier recipe. My wife is from Germany and her father only drinks weizenbier. The first time he had a bottle of my beer he skeptically took a sip then got a huge smile on his face. "This is what weizenbier used to taste like!" I'll take that as a compliment. He gets here in a month so I have two batches going today (I am messing around with temp a bit). I like my weizenbier to be a bit malty hence the Caramunich and melanoiden.

SG 1.053
FG 1.012
IBU13.56

Grain bill
6# White wheat
3# German Pils
1# Caramunich
0.5# melanoiden
Mash at 152F

0.75oz of HH at 60 min
0.5oz Tettnang at 30 min

WYeast 3068
I prefer to ferment at 63-64F as I like more cloviness than banana.

I am guessing the German Wheat you mentioned is probably White wheat, it is generally the de facto wheat variety used in brewing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew[/QUOTE

Thank you sir for sharing your recipe ... May I ask you what HH stands for in the hops ?

Yes, use German wheat malt. If a recipe wants unmalted wheat, it will specify. This is usually in the form of torrified wheat which is unmalted wheat that has been heated and "popped" similar to popped corn, converting the starch.

Righ... Thank u sir... That was a worry I Had in mind .. :) .

Back