Help with a brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedCheeser

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking to do my second beer today. I really want to try a brown ale. I think what I'm looking for is more of an English style: more of a malty flavor, with enough hops to balance it out, but not too bitter. I'll admit, I have no idea how to write a recipe, but I was...buzzed...and just playing around with tasty brew and what I've seen so far and thought I'd play around a little. Please review what I've come up with and offer suggestions, or even completely different recipes if you have them. It's all good, just looking for ideas and experience. Cheers, guys!

Oh, and I'll be working with a ~3 gallon boil.

6.5# light LME (oh yeah, and do you prefer LME or DME and why?)
1.5# crystal 60L
.5# special B
.1# chocolate

.75oz willamette - 60min
.25oz willamette - 5min

Lemme know what you think! :mug:

I'm no expert, but that looks like it will turn out pretty dark for a brown. In my last and first stout I used light dme and .5 chocolate, .5 roasted barley and it came out a hair too light. I use dme mostly so it won't scorch, and because it seems to make a better tasting finished product than lme.

Never mind I thought it said you were using .5 pound chocolate.

6.5# light LME (oh yeah, and do you prefer LME or DME and why?)
1.5# crystal 60L
.5# special B
.1# chocolate

.75oz willamette - 60min
.25oz willamette - 5min

I think you're a little heavy on the gravity. 6.5# in 5 gallons gets you up around 1.058. English browns should clock in around 1.050, max.

Too much crystal. I'd cut the 60L back to no more than 3/4lb and ditch the Special B altogether - Special B, if you've never used it before, is way too easily overdone. Crystal malts aren't the way to get 'malty'. You get 'sweet', but it's more candy and toffee flavors (to my palate).

If you're looking for grainy maltiness, add a half-pound of Briess Special Roast or Belgian Aromatic plus a half-pound of toasted pale malt. (I love toasted pale malt in 'malty' recipes! One of the few things I've kept from Papazian.)

Increase the chocolate to 6-8 oz to get the desired color and a nice, delicately roasty character.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. No matter what you do, you're gonna end up with beer, and it'll be good because you made it.

Cheers!

Bob

Edited to add: Oh, yeah - I like dry extracts. Easier to handle, easier to store excess, easier to measure.

Back