Help with 2 gal son of a fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhettoDickens

Reaction score
I plan on making multiple son of a fermentation chambers to hold 2 gallon buckets (roughly 10x10 in). The plans for a 5 gal Son of a Fermentation chiller call for 2 frozen 1-gal jugs are needed to maintain temp, but are two jugs necessary for a 2 gal batch? Is my logic correct in assuming that I only need half the ice to cool half the volume of wort?

And with a smaller compartment, does the size of the air tunnel (the section without the ice) have to be a certain size to be functional? And is there optimum amount of "head room" to have for the fermenter and ice?

I appreciate any help or tips!

Cheers

Hi

The amount of ice needed will be mainly driven by the temperature of the room, fermentation temperature, and the amount of insulation on the box. The amount of wort has relatively little impact. Since the chamber gets smaller with smaller buckets, yes there is some small benefit.

Bob

So with highest temperatures of about 80-85, do you think one bottle will keep things going? I just don't want to build a small chamber only to find out that it isn't efficient.

Back