Help Wiring PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmeffrey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently using Natural Gas for my heat source and I'm acquiring parts to either automate it or go electric. Right now I just want to use two PID's to measure the temperatures of the HLT and Mash.

I'm sick of having 3 different thermometers giving three different temps no matter how many times I try to calibrate.

So I want to use 120 Volt Input so I can wire up my pumps at the same time and put it in a 'control' panel, but I'm unclear how to wire the power to the PID. I've got Kal's electric brewery manual and can figure out the temperature probes. Also the PID's I would use would be for a SSR so I can use in the future for automation.

I know this is crazy but its also how I can build an electric brewery without SWMBO noticing.

The PIDs will most likely have a pinout diagram sticker attached to them. That would show you what pins to connect the power wires to. There are a few popular PID options, so if you get one of those options there will be people here who can help.

But to break it down to the basics, there will be two power input pins on the back of the PID. You will take your hot and neutral power wires, crimp spade terminals onto the ends, and screw those terminals into the appropriate pins on the PID.

Back