Help wiring my DPST switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DPST switches are divided left and right by the little plastic barrier.

To wire the switch, connect it in series with a circuit on either the right or left side (or one circuit per side).

What I would do based on manual here is

connect Pin 6 to 1A and 1 to SSR+
connect pin 7 to 2A and 2 to SSR -

Connect your hot wire to one side of the SSR and the other side of the SSR to the heater element

The switch is ungrounded... ground is not a "part" of most circuits.

What wattage heating element are you running with this, and at what voltage?

Brew on :mug:

What I would do based on manual here is

connect Pin 6 to 1A and 1 to SSR+

connect pin 7 to 2A and 2 to SSR -

Connect your hot wire to one side of the SSR and the other side of the SSR to the heater element

Thanks man! Very helpful and exactly what I needed.

Hey Doug, I'm using 5500 watt and 240 volt.

The switch you show is only rated for 15A @ 240V. You should be using at least a 25A rated switch, and preferably a 30A rated switch. A suitable, inexpensive choice is a Leviton 3032 series (looks like a wall light switch.)

Brew on :mug:

Thanks so much Doug. I noticed this after the fact. Thanks for looking out though, I appreciate the heads up and suggestion on a good switch. Cheers!

I got this illuminated red DPST switch from ebay, and need help wiring it. It has 4 terminals at the back, none is labelled. On the side, it says 16A 250VAC 20A 125VAC. I want to use it as a simple ON/OFF switch for a light in the standard 240VAC circuit, with the switch illuminating when ON. I can get to work it as a switch, but the illumination does not work. Can anybody help please? Thanks. Bhupi.

Pictures, linky?
Unless there is a separate power source for the light OT should be powered from the AC, maybe try switching to the other set of poles as only one would likely power the light

Back