Help Wanted - "Tour of Belgium" Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpiper

Reaction score
I wanted to start by saying that this site has been a great resource for me since I started brewing about 9 months ago. I brewed my first all-grain batch last weekend after doing 12 partial mash batches. I've quietly absorbed a ton of information on this site, and now I would like to start to give back to this excellent community.

That said, I love Belgian Ales of every variety. Trappists, Wits, Blondes, Saisons...I think they are all great! I'd like to brew something Belgian next, but I couldn't settle on any one style. I'd like to do a Saison to take advantage of the warm weather in Florida at this time of year. I'd also like to do something with the D-180 syrup I received in CandiSyrup.com's promotion. Ultimately I'd like to come up with something that is uniquely Belgian. I'm not worried about fitting any specific BJCP category.

I came up with the following after browsing through Brew Like a Monk and looking through some recipes on this website. If anyone has any suggestions relating to any aspect of this recipe, please let me know. Thank you very much!

Fermentables
8 lbs - Belgian Pilsner (2 row)
2 lbs - Belgian Wheat
8 oz - Caramunich
8 oz - Caravienne
4 oz - Special B
1 lbs - D-180 Candi Syrup

Mash Schedule
75 min @ 150F

Boil Additions
Hallertau - 1 oz @ 60 min
Styrian Goldings - 0.5 oz @ 15 min
Stryian Goldings - 0.5 oz @ 5 min
Cracked Coriander - 0.5 oz @ 5 min

Fermentation
Yeast: Wyeast 3724
Pitch at 68F. Allow to rise to 80F over 48 hours. Place outside until fermentation is finished (approximately 4 weeks).

Anticipated Stats
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.008
ABV: 7.1%
23.1 IBU's
23 SRM

Thanks again!

Looks like a tasty darker saison. I'd maybe bump the IBUs by 5 or so and leave the coriander out the first time, but that's up to you. I really, really like the Wy3724... it's too bad it's such a stubborn yeast, or it would get more love around here. As long as you're prepared to pamper it if needs be, you'll do fine.

If you want to make this brew truly special, harvest some yeast from a bottle of Chimay and use that.

Brew Like a Monk is a great book and is a great inspiration to brew more Belgian style beers. I have 3 different ones going right now.

Grain bill sounds more like a dubbel. I would drop the coriander and then use a different yeast. Something like 1214 or 3787.

But that is just me. I love a good dubbel.

Thanks for the responses so far. Based on the feedback you've given me, I might expand the "Tour of Belgium" idea a bit by doing a split batch with different yeasts. I will make the wort using the ingredients given in the 1st post, but I will drop the coriander so that I can really see the differences in the yeast.

I have WLP500 (which takes care of the Chimay and the 1214) and Wyeast 3944 on hand. I'd also like to try harvesting some yeast. I have a bottle of Straffe Hendrik which I will try. No one seems to know if the yeast is a primary strain, so I will find out. I will try one more bottle harvested yeast...not sure what. So I anticipate using the following yeasts:

Wyeast 3724
WLP500
Wyeast 3944
Harvested Straffe Hendrik
Additional Harvested Yeast

Let me know what you think.

An update for those who are interested:

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this this weekend. I cooled the wort to 64 degrees, hit it with 60 seconds of oxygen, then split it into 3 fermenters. Each fermenter will get a different yeast:

(1) Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - Pitched at 64, will allow to free rise to room temp (about 76 degrees). 72 hours after pitching yeast, I will place the fermenter on the back porch where ambient temperatures will be in the 80's and 90's for about 4 weeks.

(2) WLP500 Trappist Ale - Pitched at 64 and will ferment at 64 for 48 hours. It will then be ramped up to 72 by 2 degrees per day. 2 weeks after pitching, the fermenter will be placed in a room temperature (76) closet.

(3) Harvested Gnomegang Yeast - This is a blend of the Achouffe and Ommegang house yeasts. Will undergo the same fermentation schedule as (2).

I will continue updating this thread with my progress. If I deem any of them good enough to share, I will post my exact recipe in the recipe section.

Thanks for reading!

Here's an update on each beer at 2 weeks. I tasted the gravity samples, and I'm surprised to see that they are already so different.

(1) Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - Gravity 1.016. This beer has already developed some of the excellent Saison flavors. I'm a bit concerned as it may have gotten colder than I expected in my garage at night, so this guy might take a while to finish out.

(2) WLP500 Trappist Ale - Gravity 1.012. This is the most mild-tasting of the three. It's got a good malty taste at this point, but lacks the Belgian spiciness. Hopefully it will get some more as it continues to ferment and condition.

(3) Harvested Gnomegang Yeast - Gravity 1.008. This one definitely has a funky taste and it's the dryest of the three. At this point, it tastes more like a Saison than #1.

I bottled these guys last night. I do not recommend bottling 5 gallons of beer in 3 separate batches!

(1) Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - FG 1.004. ABV=7.2%.

(2) WLP500 Trappist Ale - FG 1.009. ABV=6.6%.

(3) Harvested Gnomegang Yeast - FG 1.007. ABV=6.8%.

I will update with tasting notes once they've carbed up.

Thanks for reading!

Back