Help! Too much phosphoric acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLoverHere

Reaction score
I accidentally put too much phosphoric acid in my mash. My PH level is right where it needs to be, but I know it's because when you mash it levels out to around 5.2 (I think) even though I put a few too many drops in before I mashed. Now that I mashed, it tastes a little funky on the aftertaste. I only mashed in 4 gallons water with phosphoric acid so once I add another 2.5 gallons (w/o phosphoric acid) and then boil form my stove top it could be okay perhaps? It's not too funky, but I can tell it is there.

Can I counter balance this with something? Should I finish with my IPA about 7%? I have lots of hops and some malt extract to add so this could balance it out some after fermentation? Not sure?? I don't know if I should throw this out and start over. I would hate to waste approx 7ox hops and 3.3lbs of LME in my boil if it is going to be funky.

Finish the beer. It will be probably be fine. You're going to add more water and LME it shouldn't be noticeable. Unless you dumped in the whole container.

Yeah, that's what I did; it should be fine I hope!

How about that MSU game the other night? OSU almost got one back. I used to coach Gary Harris a few years back. Great player, even better person!

Yeah, we took our foot off the gas and couldn't get it back on. Although Appling was suffering with cramps and Payne with Plantar Fasciitis.

I'm hoping Harris stays another year. Were you his HS coach?

No; 8th grade, but been doing it for 12 years in same school; know the HS coach my whole life and help out often with the program; was glad he went to MSU to play for a good coach; I'm an IU grad and can't stand Crean (can't coach); love Appling and the other players and of course Izzo; hopefully they can get to the Final 4 or better!

The ideal mash pH is generally from 5.3-5.5.

How do you know your mash pH is right where it needs to be? You can't determine that through taste, you need to measure the mash with a pH meter.

If you undershoot a quick way to raise it would be to use some calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, or even sodium bicarbonate if you don't use too much. Add the basifying agent slowly and measure often to prevent overshooting the other way.

I measured the mash with a pH reading and it was where it needed to be before, during, and after. After tasting the mash upon completion, it seemed to have an odd/sour/funky taste. I put approx 15-20 drops in each of one kettle of 1.5gal water and another 2gal water. I went ahead and boiled hops/put in fermenter.

After having some discussion with my LHBS yesterday, they said the acid rises to the top and becomes more prevalent/noticeable when you dip your finger in the mash to taste and I was good to go. I just got worried because it was the first time for me changing my usual procedures with my water source; it tasted bad and had me worried. The store said this was normal and also confirmed if my pH is okay it is good to go despite what it tastes like. It will settle out.

This is good to know for the future and for anyone else who researches this thread in the future with a similar issue. THX!

After having some discussion with my LHBS yesterday, they said the acid rises to the top and becomes more prevalent/noticeable when you dip your finger in the mash to taste and I was good to go.

This is not true; phosphoric acid is highly soluble in water. Good news is your mash pH was within range (5.2-5.6 measured at room temp), so I wouldn't worry about it unless it still tastes bad post-fermentation.

Back