Help! Too much phosphoric acid in my mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLoverHere

Reaction score
I accidentally put too much phosphoric acid in my mash. My PH level is right where it needs to be, but I know it's because when you mash it levels out to around 5.2 (I think) even though I put a few too many drops in before I mashed. Now that I mashed, it tastes a little funky on the aftertaste. I only mashed in 4 gallons water with phosphoric acid so once I add another 2.5 gallons (w/o phosphoric acid) and then boil form my stove top it could be okay perhaps? It's not too funky, but I can tell it is there.

Can I counter balance this with something? Should I finish with my IPA about 7%? I have lots of hops and some malt extract to add so this could balance it out some after fermentation? Not sure?? I don't know if I should throw this out and start over. I would hate to waste approx 7ox hops and 3.3lbs of LME in my boil if it is going to be funky.

if your pH for your mash is fine then you don't need to worry

the mash doesn't magically settle at a number - it's based off of the grains, water and any acid/salt adjustments you make - if your pH reading is ok then it will be fine

if your pH for your mash is fine then you don't need to worry

the mash doesn't magically settle at a number - it's based off of the grains, water and any acid/salt adjustments you make - if your pH reading is ok then it will be fine

Reading his post I don't know if he actually took a pH reading, or just expected it to be 5.2

I took a pH reading before, during, and after mashing using some non-brewing pH strips and it was in between the color marks showing 5.0 and 5.5; it is what I have and each strip has a variety of colors to compare when using; its not exact but within a few tenths of a point either way; in the past it was close enough my for standards and it served it's purpose when I need a pH reading of some sort; yeah, I know I could and should buy better ones to be more exact if I play/toy around with my water some in the future.

Today I changed up my methods as my usual water source I use is all sold out; you get 12 inches of snow w/sub zero degree weather in a weather forecast and ALL water is gone of the shelves at any grocery store in Indiana for a week or so; my local water is too high in pH as years ago when I first tried to use my tap water I did not get the quality in my brew due to my water source; i had to change it up today from my normal routine and use what I got here at my house; anytime in the process of changing something up in one's set-up can be unsettling; in my boredom of being cooped up for 5+ days i figured i could brew and adjust my water accordingly using the acid; next time I will just buy some better pH strips perhaps if I go this route.

thanks; i will finish this out and wait to see if the acidity fades away

Back