HELP Stuck at 1.025 on Brutus FW Double Jack clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
OG 1.095(checked hydrometer)
AG, no adjuncts
Mashed 149-148 for 90+(used 2 thermometers)
No sparge (gyled)
Yeast 002.
10g batch
2L starter
Raised to 74 for the last 5 days.
Nothing, stuck at 1.025
Rousing 002 is like trying to mix water and jello.
I realize I am at the extreme lower end of the attenuation spectrum of 002, but with such a low mash...
I did an exact clone of the brew us brewery recipe except I used more 2 row since I was no sparge.
His finished at 1.014

I added a couple teaspoons amylase enzyme before I left on tday trip 3 days ago and decided to drop dry hops in before I left.
Well, I'm at 4 and 7 days on the dryhopping.

Crashing the gravity sample now
Gonna give it a swig once the hops drop and see
If the taste is there, I suppose I will n package...
But 1024 seems like it would be to sweet for an iipa.
Plus I have to bottle some..

I did not o2 this beer, but sprayed and shook (the best I could shake 8.5g). O2 setup yet to be acquired.
Also, the beer did drop down to 62 or so shortly after krausen fell. Tried using a thermowell in a stand up freezer fermentation chamber.
Live and learn.

Only two places I can figure I messed up.

Try to add WL099 to finish. A recent thread in this forum - Rochefort 10 stuck - had similar issue, stuck @1.024 & now is 1.006 from the 099 high grav yeast to finish. WY3711 also a good choice to finish last grav points. Hell s05 or other dry yeast might work since it doesn't really require O2.

Add more yeast!

Got a starter going with some Conan slurry
See how that goes.
I just hope I can get it to clear, this beer is so clean looking.

About to rack a belguin ipa off. Used safale abbaye.
Think I could finish with that?
It was the second runnings of the double jack batch with a bit of extract added.
don't have access to lhbs until Tuesday and I want this stuff off the hops by Wednesday.

Well, conan slurry isn't moving at 8 hours...

I have a pacman smack pack.
Gonna go that route and build up a bit to save.

Have you rechecked gravity after adding the enzyme, but prior to adding more yeast? Curious if that enzyme worked or not...

Not much luck on either
I ended up adding a pack of s05 . I added a couple teaspoons of the enzyme.
I just racked it to a keg last night. Gonna keep it at room temp in there for another week or so. I'm sure I'll have some sediment but we'll see.
Only thing I can put together is when I first mashed in, I was to hot. 154 I think. It was only there for maybe 10 minutes.
Added ice, dropped to 149, close it up. Guessing I ended up with some longer strands because of it.

Not much luck on either
I ended up adding a pack of s05 . I added a couple teaspoons of the enzyme.
I just racked it to a keg last night. Gonna keep it at room temp in there for another week or so. I'm sure I'll have some sediment but we'll see.
Only thing I can put together is when I first mashed in, I was to hot. 154 I think. It was only there for maybe 10 minutes.
Added ice, dropped to 149, close it up. Guessing I ended up with some longer strands because of it.

I don't think that's the issue. The lower temperature rest would do a good job breaking it down.

I honestly think the majority of people mash in at a hotter temp. I do .

I can't heat my mash as easily as I can cool it. My mash usually end up at 156 to 158. I stir the hell out of it for 5 minutes and take temp. Add cool water if need be stir again take temp and.close her up.

Grain bill was 40 2-row, 5 munich, 1 crystal 45
So that wasn't it.
I grabbed a diffusion stone, air pump and filters so I'll be set for o2 going forward

OG 1.095(checked hydrometer)
AG, no adjuncts
Mashed 149-148 for 90+(used 2 thermometers)
No sparge (gyled)
Yeast 002.
10g batch
2L starter
Raised to 74 for the last 5 days.
Nothing, stuck at 1.025
Rousing 002 is like trying to mix water and jello.
I realize I am at the extreme lower end of the attenuation spectrum of 002, but with such a low mash...
I did an exact clone of the brew us brewery recipe except I used more 2 row since I was no sparge.
His finished at 1.014

I added a couple teaspoons amylase enzyme before I left on tday trip 3 days ago and decided to drop dry hops in before I left.
Well, I'm at 4 and 7 days on the dryhopping.

Crashing the gravity sample now
Gonna give it a swig once the hops drop and see
If the taste is there, I suppose I will n package...
But 1024 seems like it would be to sweet for an iipa.
Plus I have to bottle some..

I think that's your main problem...a 2L starter for 10g of a 1.095 beer is really small. Using the starter calculator at Brewer's Friend/ you would need about 850B cells and you probably made about 1/3 of that depending on the yeast viability.

Making huge starters for 10g batches sucks (I know) so I try to plan my brews so that the big batches can be pitched onto a cake from a smaller beer. I made a 1.058 oatmeal stout and then pitched a 1.106 barleywine right onto the cake two weeks later...it was active in 2 hours and even with temp control made a huge mess and blew off in my sanke fermenter...with 5 gallons of headspace!

Did you take the FG reading with a hydrometer or refractometer? Once alcohol is present you need to adjust the refractometer reading.

Hydrometer
I'm thinking is was a combination of under pitched, highly flocculant yeast and lack of oxygen.

To be fair, I only ended up with around 8.5 in the fermenter

It's in the keg now. I just hope it's not undrinkable.
I'll attack it again in the spring.
Oxygen kit is in route and just picked up a gallon jug at Rebel today.

I knew all of these things could be issues going into it, except how heavy 002 was. Brew and learn.
Thanks all for the b input.
I'll post back after I tap the keg. Gonna let it simmer for another week or two in the keg just in case it want to drop another point or two.

Oh yeah, and this happened:
Another lesson learned. See: Don't do that! thread.

View attachment 1449207633185.jpg

Back