Help! SPA Panel trips when plugged in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear419

Reaction score
I have a simple eaton spa panel with a 240 50A GFCI breaker. As soon as I plug it in or flip the main breaker it trips. I followed one of P-J's spa panel diagrams and have it wired like this:
LEUXNnB.jpg

I did check for shorts with my multi-meter, and there were no faults between the neutral and ground and the hots. I did notice a slight buzzing when I touched the two hots on the output end of the breaker. Is that normal.

Can you take a pic of your wiring inside the gfci panel? I am thinking you have the ground and neutral wire tied together after the gfci? If you do that is probably why it is tripping.

Here is a pic. The green wire is actually the neutral coming from a 3 wire range outlet. I run a wire from the neutral bus to the ground bus, and also have the neutral wire from the breaker join the neutral bus. The breaker trips even when I don't have anything wired to the breaker outputs.

ngY5rWw.jpg

I see the black wire from the ground to neutral. Although this is OK because you only have 3 wires coming in and electricity is color blind this wire should be white, green or have no insulation to prevent confusion later.

Also, the spliced green & black wire is dangerous - the connection may be good now but if that splice were to open up you will have a floating ground & have a voltage on everything metal that could shock you.

The white wire running from one of the breaker out terminals to the neutral bus is probably what's tripping your breaker.

The white wire running from one of the breaker out terminals to the neutral bus is probably what's tripping your breaker.

Thanks. I will take care to clean up the wiring.

As for the white wire going to the neutral bus. This is the wire that came pre-installed on the breaker.

According to this P-J diagram I thought it needed to be attached to the neutral bus. Is this not the case?

power-panel-6.jpg

With the breaker unwired and in the off position to took an ohm reading of the two hot outputs and got a resistance reading less than infinte. That doesn't make sense to me. Is this a sign of a bad breaker? :confused:

CNfHMHs.jpg

It was a bad breaker. I left the wiring as is and swapped out breakers and it works as intended. From my meter readings there seems like there was an internal short in the breaker.

Latest posts

Back