Help selecting hops pairing and schedule - Amarillo Galaxy Mosaic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmbell

Reaction score
I'll be doing my second BIAB batch tomorrow of a hoppy wheat beer. I've done a similar recipe with all Amarillo and with all Mosaic.

I currently have:

~1 oz leftover Mosaic whole hops 11.5% AA
2 oz Amarillo 7% AA
2 oz Galaxy

My initial thought was to use Amarillo and Galaxy in a heavily late- and dry-hopped beer. Have had some feedback that maybe the Mosaic should be the 60-min addition since it's flavor will dissipate.

My question is, how would you structure these hops additions and do Amarillo and Galaxy complement one another?

This is a half batch (2.5-3 gal), by the way.

Thanks.

I love a good Amarillo beer. Some people think its too grassy, I guess I"m just mr. grassy... :D

A quick search in Google pulled up Galaxy 11-16% AA

Are you looking or a hoppy beer in nose and taste or hoppy beer as in bitter? or both? Do you care if it's properly to style?

1 oz Amarillo at 60 or 30 min (depending on desired IBU)

.5 oz Galaxy & .5 Amarillo at 10 min

1 oz Galaxy & . 5 oz Amarillo whirlpool at 160 degrees for 30 min

.5 oz Galaxy & 1 oz mosaic dry hop

Just checked, Galaxy AA is 14.9%. Looking to get more of the hops aroma than the bitterness.

Thanks to both of you, I think I'll add the first ounce of Amarillo at 30 mins -- I have a gumballhead clone recipe that I've used as a base before and it calls for a 30-min total boil so thirty for the bittering hops will probably be a good match, flavor-wise.

I've never tried a whirlpool addition as opposed to flame out, any tips for hitting and then keeping that temp?

It really doesn't matter, you can do a flameout addition with those hops instead and it will come out great.

You can do the whirlpool many ways, depends on how you chill your wort. You could use any type of chiller to get the temp down to 160 then add the hops and stir with sanitized spoon or you can let the wort naturally cool to 160 on the stove. I usually do a flameout and whirlpool so just let it slowly drift down. Don't worry about holding the temp at 160, just let it sit for 30 min before bringing down to pitching temp.

Galaxy and Amarillo go very well together. Heavy mettle by trillium uses that combo, and I am now convinced that Green by Treehouse uses The same combo. Mosaic is great to dry hop with. Let us know how it turns out

Thanks, that's great feedback. Do you have a big difference between flameout and whirlpool as far as aroma?

BeerSmith pegs it at 65 IBUs with obviously the majority of hops going in after 0 mins. Looking forward to trying this recipe and will report back with the results.

Thanks, that's great feedback. Do you have a big difference between flameout and whirlpool as far as aroma?

BeerSmith pegs it at 65 IBUs with obviously the majority of hops going in after 0 mins. Looking forward to trying this recipe and will report back with the results.

It depends on the temperature of your whirlpool, but generally speaking, the whirlpool is going to cool off more quickly and therefore preserve more aroma than just throwing the hops into nearly-boiling wort and letting it sit there.

Are you using a pump to whirlpool?

Just brewed using the suggested combo with lots of late hopping:

30 min 1 oz Amarillo
10 min 1/2 oz Amarillo 1/2 oz Galaxy
Whirlpool at 160 F post flame out 1/2 oz Amarillo 1/2 oz Galaxy

Will be dry hopping with 1 oz Galaxy and 1/2 or 1 oz Mosaic

Had to bottle the remainder of the keg so the beer sat for a long time and I only ended with 2.5 gal instead of 2.75-3 gal so this one will be 1.060 OG.

I didn't do anything special other than drop the hops in at 160 and swirl the wort vigorously 2-3 times over the 30 minutes.

My cooling approach is also just to agitate the wort in a cold water bath, so plenty of whirlpooling going on -- does this sound sufficient? It's first time with this technique. Beer was green-tinged on its way into the fermenter.

I don't have an experience with Amarillo being grassy, I get an orange blossom flavor/aroma combo. Amarillo is a great hop for a wheat beer. Mosaic hops are a little too assertive in a wheat beer. imo. Galaxy is pretty versatile, it should be a good combo

These hops as being the only option, I would ( Lately I ignore shooting for an IBU target, rather ensure I do not go too low.)

.5 oz Galaxy at 20
.5 oz Mosaic at 15
.5 galaxy at 2

1 oz Amarillo at flame out
.5 oz Mosaic at flame out

At 180°F for 40 min
1 oz amarillo
1 oz Galaxy

you probably will not get the nose you are after, but I imagine the flavor should be pretty good.

Was originally just going to use a pinch of Mosaic at 30 and then do all late additions, went with Amarillo instead. I'll report back in a few weeks on how it has turned out

Back