Help! Ran out of propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelou6

Reaction score
Finished my first AG Mash - hit my temps and missed my OG by 3 points. Not too bad I guess.

Ran out of propane 15-20 minutes after I added my hops. D'oh.

I have to wait until tomorrow morning to get more. Is my beer doomed? Can I pick up the boil tomorrow?

This has never happened to me but I can't see why it would hurt that much. Just cover the pot so nothing gets in it (bugs like the sweetness) and pick it up tomorrow. The boil will kill any bacteria that may get in, and I don't think overnight is enough time for them to produce any noticeable odors or flavors.

Should be ok, you will be boiling again so real worry about infection. Skip your bittering addition when you reboil tomorrow is the main thing, the extra long steep in the hot wort will have done the trick for that.

Consider getting yourself a second tank, I have a spare just for this reason and I've had to use it a few times. Plus it lets you run the tank completely dry instead of refilling a partial tank and paying for a complete fill.

Or you could pick it up and put it on the stove. I did that when I emptied both my tanks on one beer (One had been on the gas grill for a while). I was able to continue the boil on my stove although the stove would have taken forever to get the boil going.
Its always good to have a spare.
Craig

thanks. I will pick it up in the morning and report on the final product for posterity.

bradsul said:
Should be ok, you will be boiling again so real worry about infection. Skip your bittering addition when you reboil tomorrow is the main thing, the extra long steep in the hot wort will have done the trick for that.

Consider getting yourself a second tank, I have a spare just for this reason and I've had to use it a few times. Plus it lets you run the tank completely dry instead of refilling a partial tank and paying for a complete fill.

Excellent advise as those tanks always seem to run out at the most inconvienent time.

Check the dump, recycling center or landfill in your county for free tanks. If you ask they usually let you pick up a couple no charge. If the tanks are out of date or have the wrong kind of outlet take em to the the LP swap out center it's a little more expensive than a dedicated LP merchant but cheaper than buying a new tank.

also, you don't have to run out of propane to get it refilled. its like a gas tank in your car...they'll top it off and only charge for the propane they used.

its easier to keep a spare 20lb tank though.

It's hard to find an actual propane filling place in some locations (such as Dallas). Most places just do cylinder exchange, which is why I have one on my grill, one dedicated to brewing and one spare.

I ran out of propane once , and I was fortunately able to go to the nearest Home Depot and pick up another tank - I only lost about 30 minutes then proceded to finish my boil. In any event, all was good and I now have 3 propane tanks. As soon as one is empty, I exchange it for another full one, as I never want to run into that situation again.

I keep 2 brewing tanks and can always grab the one off the BBQ to finish a batch.. it's always a good idea to have at least 2 propane tanks on hand.

malkore said:
also, you don't have to run out of propane to get it refilled. its like a gas tank in your car...they'll top it off and only charge for the propane they used.

I wish that were the case here in Georgia. Not only do they charge for a whole tank. They only fill 80% of a 20# tank = 16# / 4.2# per gal. = 3.81 gal.

$14 / 3.81 gal. = $3.67 / gal.

And the geniuses at the Wall St. Journal say inflation is low. I wish someone would pay $150,000 / year to publish BS .

I ran out once but just grabbed the bottle off the bbq..

I now have 3 so I shouldn't run into the problem again..

And that sucks for those who get charged for a full tank refill on partial empties.
The gas station up the road from my house charges by the gallon...so whatever they put in is all I am paying for...

I finished my boil today. I tasted the OG sample and it tasted good so hopefully no long term effects. It will be interesting if it turns out great because recreating it would be impossible.

my dad has an interesting method of keeping track of how much propane he has. he weighs his tank after filling to find out how much the empty tank is. full weight - 20lb = weight of empty tank. at least gives you a semi reliable way to keep tabs on it if you only have a single tank.

gruntingfrog said:
It's hard to find an actual propane filling place in some locations (such as Dallas). Most places just do cylinder exchange, which is why I have one on my grill, one dedicated to brewing and one spare.

Any U-Haul location should fill propane tanks.

TL

scottfro said:
my dad has an interesting method of keeping track of how much propane he has. he weighs his tank after filling to find out how much the empty tank is. full weight - 20lb = weight of empty tank. at least gives you a semi reliable way to keep tabs on it if you only have a single tank.
The tare weight is actually stamped right on the tank, look for a T or TW followed by a number. It will probably be a 9.1 or a 20 (9.1KG or 20lbs).

My tanks all say 'T 9.1' for example.

Another "emergency" option- if you live near a large city.
Most large grocery stores (and some convenience stores) carry exchange tanks. We have several around here that are 24 hour stores. The propane costs much more, but if it was say 10 PM, you'd still have an option to keep boiling.

I also have three tanks-grill/camper/extra.

Or take a sixer over to the neighbors in exchange for the use of his grill tank for a couple hours.
bug.gif

I live in a city, San Francisco bay area and all the local hardware stores like Ace, True Value and Home Depot have propane under the exchange system. Without hijacking this thread, I have natural gas house heating plus found a gas line to the patio area. Question, is there any heating difference should I go with natral gas vs a propane system and rejet the burners? Also thinking about electric.

BrewBeemer said:
I live in a city, San Francisco bay area and all the local hardware stores like Ace, True Value and Home Depot have propane under the exchange system. Without hijacking this thread, I have natural gas house heating plus found a gas line to the patio area. Question, is there any heating difference should I go with natral gas vs a propane system and rejet the burners? Also thinking about electric.

Yes there is a big difference. And unlike the stove inside your house it's not just a matter of rejetting .

If you want to go NG you'll need a low pressure burner.

Back