help please! first ever IPA recipe. Mosaic/Cascade/Centennial/Nelson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyejules

Reaction score
Please can someone have a quick check of this recipe and make sure i haven't done anything stupid! would be much appreciated!

My first attempt at a recipe, using Punk IPA and Lagunitas IPA clone as referencing points for rough measurements (even though they're different hops) as i love those beers!!

Is this enough hops? or should i increase the amount? (i like it hoppy)

Im using these hops, as they're ones i have access to. Im in UK too, hence Maris Otter.

The Nelson Sauvin has been opened and in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks, is that OK still?

I also got some Chinook hops at 13.3%aa, would they be better as my bittering hop as they're higher AA??

thanks for any tips

----------------------------------------------------------------

5 gallon (20litre) into fermenter

5.4 kg Maris Potter (Extra Light)
0.3 kg English Caramalt

60 min
29g (1oz) - centennial (8.7% aa)

30 min
22.5g (0.8oz) - Mosaic (10.6% aa)
10g (0.35oz) - Cascade (7.9% aa)

End Hop
40g (1.4oz) - Mosaic (10.6% aa)
15g (0.5oz) - Cascade (7.9% aa)
10g (0.35oz) - Nelson Sauvin (13% aa)

Dry Hop
37.5g (1.3oz) - Mosaic (10.6% aa)
10g (0.35oz) - Nelson Sauvin (13% aa)
30g (1oz) - Cascade (7.9% aa)

1056 Wyeast

I would save your designer hops (mosaic/nelson) for the dry hop. You could definitely bitter with chinook and use centennial as a flame out.

Maybe something like:

1oz Chinook @ 60
(skip 30 min. additions)
.5oz Cascade @ 10
1oz Centennial @ flame out
Remaining Cascade (1.5oz?) @ flame out
All the mosaic/neslon @ Dry hop

What you made looked perfectly fine btw, that's just how I would reorganize it

Thanks man, makes sense

What made you skip the 30min addition? Is that because you won't really get the flavor from the hops if they're added that early?

I'd go slightly different, I do like a nice layering hop at 30-20 ish.
this is where I'd go (Just to make things complicated)

chinook @60
50g Cascade @ 30
than load up your F/O and Dryhop with the remaining. As above I'd suggest Centennial at Flameout. with some of your mosaic.
Dryhop Nelson/Mosaic

Thanks man, makes sense

What made you skip the 30min addition? Is that because you won't really get the flavor from the hops if they're added that early?

Yea I think a lot of the flavor boils off so I like to keep the tasty hops for the end of the boil

Have a read of the Brulosophy article regarding whirlpool/hopstand and the 20min addition.

It doesn't address adding hops at flame out. Both scenarios left hops in contact with hot (>200F) wort for 20 minutes. Unless I'm looking at the wrong ex.

whirlpool/hopstand is a flameout addition.

If someone writes "flame out" on their recipe, I think most people interpret that as, "add the hops as you cut heat and begin chilling the wort". The contact time with hot wort is a couple minutes.

That's different than whirlpooling, where yes the hops are added at flame out, but the wort is left to steep for an extended period of time without chilling. Then after 20-45 minutes the wort is force chilled.

In my recipe recommendation, I wrote flame out. You referenced an article that compared 20 minute boil additions to 20 minute whirlpool additions. Neither of those is the same as flame out hops, so that ex. isn't relevant for comparison

If someone writes "flame out" on their recipe, I think most people interpret that as, "add the hops as you cut heat and begin chilling the wort". The contact time with hot wort is a couple minutes.

That's different than whirlpooling, where yes the hops are added at flame out, but the wort is left to steep for an extended period of time without chilling. Then after 20-45 minutes the wort is force chilled.

In my recipe recommendation, I wrote flame out. You referenced an article that compared 20 minute boil additions to 20 minute whirlpool additions. Neither of those is the same as flame out hops, so that ex. isn't relevant for comparison

Fair point - but a hop stand and a whirlpool have similar effects.
it is positive to suggest (especially in an IPA) to hop-stand or whirlpool (if available) and allow the goodness to come out of the hops, otherwise you lose alot of the goodness if you chill immediately.

thats not to say the OP cant do it, but its something I'd recommend. but at the end of it all, it comes down to them and how they want to approach the recipe.
hopstand
Whirlpool
or just flameout.

Not a huge fan of Nelson (I said it) though it has its place. I agree to go sparingly with those or they can overpower.
Mosaic is one not to leave in the secondary too long. Fyi- freezing hops> fridge.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I changed the recipe according to your suggestions, starting with the chinook, and using chinook towards the end

I put the end hops in at flame out, then started chilling about 10minutes later, so a happy medium between 'whirlpool' and chilling immediately I guess!

I got a OG of 1.050, which is ok, but should have probably got a bit more with that amount of malt? Maybe I sparked to quickly?

Saved lots of the mosaic, cascade, Nelson for the dry hop

I'm very new to this, but wanted to create my own recipe, and my favourite hops I've smelt are the Mosaic & Nelson so I bought some

I also had a single hop Mosaic IPA once and loved it, so made sense to buy a load of these.

One question though, the end hops & dry hopping are always described as 'for aroma'. this doesn't mean, 'just for smell' does it?
Surely you taste the difference it makes too??

Or does aroma mean the first thing you taste when you take the sip?

Generally yes. Although the flameout will add some bitterness and flavour.
The dryhop will be mainly for aroma.
But personally they add a it more than that.
The easiest way to describe it. Is you taste with your nose. A lot of what you smell will translate across into the taste.

Back