Help! No chiller water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
My outdoor faucets seem to be frozen! No water for plate chiller. Got 10 gallons in the BK now. Heat off.

What is my move here? Can I pump the 200 degree wort into glass carboy and let nature do it's thing?

What temp is safe for glass?

NO!!! You have to chill first. Can you string hoses together and pull water from inside the house where your washing machine is?

Another option is to get someone to help safely carry the kettle to the bath tub. Put in cold water and ice.

Cover well. Put in garage (or unheated room). Wait. It will be fine. Put in glass when below 80 degrees. Pitch yeast at required temp.

Wort, capped, and it's now sitting outside. Will let it chill, then pitch.

Carboy #2 cracked on me. Was able to get another gallon or so into a 3 gallon carboy.

Ugh. It's always something...lol

If it is cold enough outside to freeze your water supply, its plenty cold enough to chill your wort in the kettle.

Cover and deal with it in the morning....you may find this is your preferred cold weather chilling method..

Wort, capped, and it's now sitting outside. Will let it chill, then pitch.

Carboy #2 cracked on me. Was able to get another gallon or so into a 3 gallon carboy.

Ugh. It's always something...lol

This is a good sign that you should replace all the glass carboys with plastic buckets.....before you get to show pictures of the damage the big pieces of broken glass have done to your body.

Had you had plastic bucket (HDPE) you could have poured the hot wort into them and let it cool there. The buckets can handle boiling wort.

Listen to wilser. Cover the kettle and let the weather do the work As a bonus you will likely find some crystal clear wort when you return. Not great for hop forward styles as hops can seem bit muddled without fast cooling, but you can always dry hop.

Last weekend when I brewed I just let it cool down to about 180 in the kettle then moved it to the fermenter to cool overnight. Pitched the yeast in the morning and it is turning out beautifully. Now I have water lines to connect to my plate chiller but what I did worked in a pinch.

Latest posts

Back