Help neededwater for partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goplayoutside

Reaction score
Hello out there!

I recently moved and am brewing the first batch at the new house this weekend. It is the AHB fall amber rye. It will be partial mash.

Issue is, the tap water at the new house doesn't taste very good. Is there any easy way to start with R/O water and modify it to a profile that will more or less fit the style of an American Amber Ale? I am hoping to avoid thinking through any chemistry here...

Hello out there!

I recently moved and am brewing the first batch at the new house this weekend. It is the AHB fall amber rye. It will be partial mash.

Issue is, the tap water at the new house doesn't taste very good. Is there any easy way to start with R/O water and modify it to a profile that will more or less fit the style of an American Amber Ale? I am hoping to avoid thinking through any chemistry here...

Yes, RO water is fine. You don't have to add anything to fit a profile, but you can add a teaspoon of calcium chloride to 5 gallons if you want to. (It's pickle time and I saw calcium chloride by the pickles in the grocery store, if you don't have time to go to a homebrew store).

Are you familiar with Bru'n water?
Or any of the other brewing software programs?
There are many free resources available that will do the "chemistry" thinking for you.

I will fire up my computer in the interim while I wait for your answer and then see if I can help you figure something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks folks.

I know I need to get into the water software to elevate my brewing from using "good enough" water to using "great" water but have been procrastinating it which has worked out in the past due to the water at my old house being "good enough." The water at the new place is not "good enough" so for now I need a quick fix tho- will go w/ the R/O & CaCl for the time being and maybe in a future batch will take the time to learn software and try to tweak it more.

This is the 1st brew in a year or so, I am excited!

Back