Help needed with Belgian ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabianmonk

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am new to homebrewtalk but I have read many a post here and they have helped me tremendously since I have started brewing in the last few months. Now I have run into my first real problem (on my fourth batch).

Here's the breakdown:

I have a 5 gallon batch of a Belgian wheat beer in which I added lemongrass. Unfortunately, I ran out dried lemongrass and added some fresh sprigs from my garden, not even considering how much more potent they would be fresh! Now my beer is very sour and I want to know if there is anyway I can salvage it.

The brew is currently in the secondary fermenter and I have added a little corriander and cumin to try and balance out the sourness but to no avail. I just added some more (I am now paranoid about overspicing my beer).

I do not currently know the pH of the beer but it is not so low as to prevent the yeast from propagating (a second krausen formed after I racked yesterday, so my White Labs 400 is alive and well).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I cut my losses and turn this into a marinade for my steaks?

The only options I have thought of is to brew a second batch of Belgian ale with no lemongrass and then to just mix the two together. My other idea is to try and add a base to neutralize the citric acid in the brew. Any thoughts on these ideas would be appreciated!

When you say sour, are you talking about simply too much lemongrass flavor, or like a sour vinegar or otherwise just tastes "off"?

Sour beer is often a sign of a bacterial infection so there's a good chance that you may have introduced some bacteria by dropping in fresh lemongrass.

Is fresh lemongrass actually stronger than dried? It's often the opposite: dried is more condensed. Maybe marubozo is right about bacteria.

The lemongrass was put into the mash at 10 minutes before flame out... So unless there was something that was mighty resistant to boiling temperatures, I do not think it is an infection but I guess it is always possible. The beer tastes extremely lemony, as if I had poured citric acid right into the wort.

McGarnigle-- I thought the same thing about dried vs. fresh herbs. But I used the exact same amount of lemongrass in a previous batch (but it was all dry) and the taste came out subtle. Here, the only difference was that I did not remove all the lemongrass sprigs from the wort and let them stay in the primary. I have a feeling this is what is primarily responsible for the strong taste.

Back