Help needed, stuck fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Belgian dark strong, 80% Belgian Pale malt, 6% Miunich, 4% Aromatic and 10% candy sugar.
Mash 60 minutes @154F. Boil 90 minutes. Added yeast food, chilled to 80 F (could not get it lower) oxygenated for 2 minutes (OG+1.080). Then I put it in the fridge Full blast fridge for an hour just to drop temp below to about 75F. Pitched large (4 L) starter of Abbey IV WLP 540 at 6:00PM, set the temp to 64F at the fridge, but forgot the probe setting in the medium inside the fridge not under the foamy pad that I taped on the side of the carboy. In the next morning (7:00AM) the fridge was running at 64F, when I saw the probe out I put it under the pad (taped on the carboy) the temp was 70F, fridge kicked in and in an hour or two all beer and fridge were at 64. At that morning when I saw the probe out fermentation was going very crazy fast, the blow off are spitting foam, the evening of the day I put the probe under the foam and effectively cooled the fermentation from 70 to 64F, fermentation at that evening slowed down to almost a bubble each 10 seconds and no churning movement. Gravity is 1.050 and fermentation is very slow.
My questions are:
1. Did I crash cool my beer pre maturely?
2. I’m raising temp a degree a day so now I’m at 67F, but no noticeable effect. What else should I do?
3. My thoughts are that the yeast eat the 10% simple sugar and now they are tired to continue, although 10% simple sugar is not unheard of. If this is the case should I be pitching some souring bugs and hope for the best?
Thanks

How are you measuring the current gravity?

If you're using a refractometer, you need to correct its reading once alcohol is present...

Cheers!

How many days has it been going? I'd increase the temperature a few degrees and keep waiting.

I would let it go. Why are you opening it up so early on to take readings? I never think about opening the fermentor until a least a week in

How many days has it been going? I'd increase the temperature a few degrees and keep waiting.

It has been going since Sunday early morning, I pitched the yeast Saturday evening. as of now it is setting at 67 F.

I would let it go. Why are you opening it up so early on to take readings? I never think about opening the fermentor until a least a week in

I did open it and take a reading for few reasons;
1- fermentation slowed down very much.
2-I needed to switch to an air lock rather than blow out since fermentation is very slow

I don't think you can call it a stuck fermentation or even need to be worrying about stuck fermentations after only 3-4 days.

Back