HELP!!! Need quick answer... Over primed bottling day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
Quick help is greatly appreciated. I made my Cherry wood Irish Red.

Had 3lb can of cherry puree and 2.5 Oz of oak wood.

Let it sit in my mini brew conical. Conical showed I had 5.5 gallon. I expected bottle to be slush of puree and wood so I primed for 5gal.

After transferring to bottling bucket, I was left with 4 gallons. So now my priming sugar ratio is way off.

What can I do?

I am thinking about adding in the other gallon and letting it sit over night since the bucket is much wider base than conical and the bottling tomorrow? Question is... Can I let it sit with the priming sugar already mixed in or is it going to shoot off fermenting again?

Or can I cold crash that last 1.2 gallons until it clears then siphon that into the original bucket.

How long can I let the bottling bucket sit?

I don't think you can let the bottling bucket sit unless you could drop the temps quickly to get the yeast dormant. The yeast are already eating that priming sugar. You could treat the bucket as a secondary and let them eat the sugar and start over in a week.

The simplest solution is to just rack the bottling bucket back to the fermenter and ferment out the bottling sugar and re-prime according to how much is in the bucket instead of how much you expect. It will have little effect on the finished product other than to raise the ABV slightly.

This is straight out of my new book...... Remedial Home Brewing. PM me if you want to get on the list for a signed first edition. ;-)

H.W.

HOw much priming sugar did you use? A 20% margin might not ruin it all

I used 4.2oz when for the amount I actually have its stated roughly a ounce less.

Damn I wanted this for the 4th of July and it might not happen now.

I am at about 4.3 gallons and seriously almost debated adding a little water because it came out 2% higher abv than planned. Was supposed to be 6 but came out 8.

according to the calculator i just ran it through that will give you carbonation of about 2.7 volumes, which is the high end for a pale ale or lager.

I would add some water, preferably that has been boiled and cooled first.

Back