help name these contaminated brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicac2

Reaction score
I recently started working for a nano brewery and the last brewer was horrible with sanitation. I need help figuring out what these contaminations are from.

The first 2 are from buckets holding a blowoff tube. Not sure how you could see this and not clean it out...

The third is from an Oktoberfest that has been fermenting for about 2 months.

The fourth is from a Pale ale that has been fermenting for about 3 weeks. Somebody dry hopped it 1 week ago and said it looked fine.

Im leaning towards Lacto. At least.

Im pretty much ****ed. Want to burn everything and rebuild new

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Not sure how nano it is, but I have friends at a 1bbl brewery where everything is basically in a big garage. Until they built a mill box, they had to be really careful when they milled grain, because the mill throws grain dust (containing lacto) all around the brewery. Any time they would need to open a fermenter or take a cut of yeast to repitch, they wouldn't mill the day before. No idea if that's your problem, but it's something to consider.

Sorry to say you can not identify what is contaminating the beer by sight. You need to do microbiology to figure that out. Its like being able to tell yeast viability by sight and mash temp my smell. Either spend the money for some premade plates from a place like whitelabs, or dump the beer, or hold onto it to see if it turns into something good. Either say with what look like plastic fermenter, I'd buy new fermenters if people's pay is dependendent on quality product.

How big are your tanks?
Does the beer inside tanks look like the bucket liquid?
Buckets could be picking up some wild yeast sitting around.
If the sanitizer is being used over and over again i would deff go in that direction

Last 3 look like lacto. First one might be pedio+lacto

Back