HELP! My wort didn't cool down fast enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcashew

Reaction score
So this is an odd one.....

As i finished boiling my wort I did my usual routine of bringing it to the sink and letting it sit in ice water. The damn boiling pot was so hot, it never did cool down properly, instantly melting all my ice and turning my running water warm for 15 minutes!

I then put some chilled water into my fermenter along with the wort and I never got the temperature down below 100.

I dont intend on putting the yeast in until its about 75, but I dont have a fridge or freezer big enough to bring the temp down. Ill have to let it cool naturally.

Is this OK? Ive always figured the cooling down step is KEY.

Thanks, y'all

I'm sure it'll turn out ok as long as you keep it covered so the nasties don't get in. I switch it between my two sinks full of cold water, works pretty well. It also helps a lot if you stir the wort occasionally.

Before I got my IC it took me 30 hours to cool the wort to 65*. Never had a problem, but I was brewing malt forward beers- stout, porter, SMaSH maris/cascade, helles. You might lose hop aroma if you take a while to cool down.

Edit: take your time and get the wort to pitching temps (65 or lower), that's the most important thing to worry about.

It will work, but one of the more important things to making great beer is controlling temperatures in all phases of brewing. You might want to consider a wort chiller of some kind in the future.

As long as nothing can fall into it, or exposed to air, you should be fine. Unless you're doing a Saison I would chill it lower than 75, even then, I'd chill for a lower pitching temp.

i do no chill, which is letting the wort chill naturally from boiling to pitching temps. doesn't hurt it at all. so in your case the few extra hours wont hurt it at all :thumbup:

Back