Help Molson Red/Dose XX extract clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobbillyray

Reaction score
Ok long story shorter, a buddy of mine is coming here and I have a short time (maybe one month- probably less) to get somewhere near this - I can do a True Brew Pale Ale kit with some extra DME to get the ABV and malt flavor I want but I'm lost on the type of hop pellets to add during bottling to get "that type hop flavor" I'm looking for???

I'm leaning toward 2 ounces of cascade and 1-2 ounces of centennial but ...

I'll use US S-05 for the yeast , swamp bath so I KNOW I can get that all "right" the hop profile on bottling IS the issue

Any thoughts here?:mug:

Really no one has an ideas on which hops would get somewhat close to the flavor I am hoping for??????

I'm a little confused...so you want to "clone" (i.e. in this case "get close to") these two mass-produced amber lagers, but your plan is to do a modified pale ale kit, use large amounts of characterful hops, and add the hops at bottling?

So, hops at bottling time aside (there are plenty of threads on this site that discuss how and when to utilize your hops to suit your purposes), the ingredients will no doubt get you a fine pale ale. However, I can't see that being anything like the generic amber lagers you listed in your title -- Molson and Dos Equis. If you can't lager, perhaps just try an amber ale kit instead. You're looking for something that is more on the malty side, not so much a hop-influenced beer.

I mean adding the hops(pellets) to the boiled sugar water, which from what I have read here seems to be the best bet of keeping some good hop flavor/aroma when bottling.. It is the Hop flavor /aroma of these two I'd like to get close to (nothing else) actually

Well, my long time buddy asked IF I could possibly make an ale "close to " one or the other, I have no clue (which is why I'm asking here) I can make a great ale (pale or otherwise) never tried this but since he requested it I'd like to try it LOL

He will be driving > 6 hours to get here so I'd like it to be good (amber or pale LOL)

I get it. Sometimes we try things because family or friends ask us.
I can't help you with the formulas for either, but wonder if you've checked their websites for any info. on what hops they use? Also, if you haven't already, check out the recipe section of the forum. There are tons of recipes. Don't know if your preferences are there, but it's the 1st place I'd check. Good Luck!

Simple

I was asked IF I could and having never tried I like the challenge

Haha I think we've all been here before! "Oh, you brew your own beer? Do you ever brew anything good, like Coors Light? You probably couldn't do it, though, since they use Rocky Mountain spring water in that. That's why it has so much flavor!"

But back to your original question, I think the best thing to do would be to brew an amber ale, and then if you want to have some extra hop character, throw those aforementioned hops in at the very end of the boil, just as you are turning off the heat, and let them sit for a few minutes before chilling.

AFAIK he's never had good homebrew so I may just make it and have him enjoy it, IF he thinks it's "close" that would be "OK " also LOL

Rather than run out and buy a "kit" I have 6# of Amber DME, some Crystal 20L , US 05 ;Cascade 2OZ and Willamette 1 OZ hops(pellets) on hand , thinking I can make a great beer with that which would make him pretty happy???

Not exactly sure how I'll decide to do that brew but I can't imagine it not being MUCH better than MBC etc. LOL

EDIT

I'm thinking a "variation " of this

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=210253

Though I won't likely be able to ferment for 30 days (which I don't think is really needed anyway) :mug:

Looks like a nice drinking, simple recipe. I agree with you, most likely the visible signs of fermentation will be finished in 4-5 days. I'd still leave it for a good 2 weeks total to cleanup, condition, and settle before checking SG and packaging. I've never used the combo of Williamette with Cascade, and would be a little worried that the character of the Willi will be lost. If you are going with the recipe-stated 15 minute boil, then I'd probably put 1oz. of the Cascade at the start and 1oz. at flameout. But, plug it into a recipe creator just to make sure your IBUs will be where you want.

Looks like a nice drinking, simple recipe. I agree with you, most likely the visible signs of fermentation will be finished in 4-5 days. I'd still leave it for a good 2 weeks total to cleanup, condition, and settle before checking SG and packaging. I've never used the combo of Williamette with Cascade, and would be a little worried that the character of the Willi will be lost. If you are going with the recipe-stated 15 minute boil, then I'd probably put 1oz. of the Cascade at the start and 1oz. at flameout. But, plug it into a recipe creator just to make sure your IBUs will be where you want.

Maybe, but I already brewed it as I stated we shall see LOL Smelled awesome and was sweet (as expected) but flavor was phenomenal for non- fermented wort - I think it will be a "winner" . Youngest son is NOW planning on coming for the 4th so this will be a "test run" for the other LOL I have high expectations after smelling sampling the wort

Maybe, but I already brewed it as I stated we shall see LOL Smelled awesome and was sweet (as expected) but flavor was phenomenal for non- fermented wort - I think it will be a "winner" . Youngest son is NOW planning on coming for the 4th so this will be a "test run" for the other LOL I have high expectations after smelling sampling the wort

Nice! It's always fun to have a trial run on a brew so you can work out the kinks (and drink more)!

UPDATE:

It's chugging away @ 65* the US-05 is doing what it's supposed to at this point.

I fully intend to have this bottled and be drinking it for the 4th with our son and his wife (IF she likes it LOL) Nice Krausen at this point this will be an interesting Beersperiment I believe

More of a tight time frame than I'd normally push but being more hop-forward (goal) it will be best fresh IMO anyway so I'm guessing this will work out (if not "perfect") I'll get a clue what to "tweak" in the future LOL (or not) :D

:mug:

Latest posts

Back