Help me with this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0stm4n

Reaction score
I rarely have a chance to get by the homebrew store. Their hours conflict with my work hours. Last Thursday I was signing papers on a house so took the day off. I swung by the LHBS with no brew plan. I made this recipe up on the spot in my head.

http://hopville.com/recipe/663868/home-brew/strong-drunk-ale

I was going to brew this Saturday but something came up and I had to cancel. So now I have time to work on the recipe a bit before I brew it. I even have the yeast already in a flast that was a starter. I'll have to ramp it up to pitch as well.

The 2 row and the crystal malt are already milled together in a plastic bag. They cannot be separated. The wheat I planned on putting in for a nice head and because I already have some from a hefeweisen I made a few weeks ago.

I don't think I have enough hops. I'm thinking of getting something like Magnum or some other high AA hop to bitter with and moving the Mt. Hood to flavor/aroma.

I had planned on this being a strong brew. I also want it more malty than hoppy(but not as malty as it's looking right now). I've been doing some real hophead brews lately so want to tone it down for this one. Also any ideas on what style this might be near? Without the wheat it's like an american ale with too high an ABV.

i'm coming up with 1.084 og, 19.2 srm, and 16.3 ibu. that would be nastily sweet and malty. too bad the 2-row and the c120 can't be separated. that being said, i'd look at changing this to an apa by using about 70% of that grain, then doing a 10 gallon brew with it, and ramp up the hops with columbus or cascade. that should make a malty apa

Change the boil volume to 11 gallons than you get 17.7 IBU. Put all the hops in at 60. You'll end up with some sort of a douple bock ale.

Oh wow I completly missed the boil volume. I was getting frustrated because even with a ridiculous amount of hops I couldn't get my IBUs up

i'm coming up with 1.084 og, 19.2 srm, and 16.3 ibu. that would be nastily sweet and malty. too bad the 2-row and the c120 can't be separated. that being said, i'd look at changing this to an apa by using about 70% of that grain, then doing a 10 gallon brew with it, and ramp up the hops with columbus or cascade. that should make a malty apa

I'm wanting it pretty strong. That said; I use a keggle so with a little fermcap and some diligence during the boil I could probably increase my batch size some.

Not nasty sweet, more like category 5C just not as clean and malty. The numbers fit.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style05.php#1c

Damn only problem with that is I will be moved before I can brew again. The new place doesn't have a fridge so I am going to be giving up my fermentation fridge for the kitchen. I don't think I want to do a lager yeast at "basement temperature". My original plan was to knock this out before I moved. Plans blew up. I could always divide up the grain and make something else, I was just looking for ideas.

While it sucks short term, I am kinda glad because I should have gotten a chest freezer so I can fit more than 3 fermentors in it.

Kudos for the dopplebock though. I'm all sadface I won't have temp control for a bit. At least until I can find a decent deal on a big chest freezer on craigslist.

I think some dark munich malt might be better than wheat malt. Wheat malt adds very little flavor.

I just had it in mostly because I have some leftover from a previous brew. It isn't crushed yet. I probably should have just edited it out before posting.

in that case, use about 60-65% of the mixed grain, and about 1/2 lb of the wheat for head retention, throw in plenty of hops, and you'll have an apa that should be ready in time

Back