Help me with spices for a pumpkin beer, post brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
Brewed a pumpkin beer based loosely on a Schafley clone. Need to put together a spice bill to add to secondary but am a bit lost.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Lakedawgs

I added 3 tbsp pumpkin pie spice to a couple shots of vanilla vodka for about 30 min then dumped it all in

Did you boil it?
I just tossed a little less than a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice straight into the fermenter today. Brew day was 10 days ago. I was wondering if I should have done more or boiled it with some vanilla extract and water.

Hello said:
Did you boil it? I just tossed a little less than a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice straight into the fermenter today. Brew day was 10 days ago. I was wondering if I should have done more or boiled it with some vanilla extract and water.

No boil. Vodka should take care of that. Just wanted the flavors to blend a bit before I added to secondary

A spice tea is any easy way. Just boil your spices in a cup of water. Let cool, and add to the fermenter. This also provides a chance to dial in the exact amount you want. Add some, stir, taste. Repeat until you get to the level you want.

1tsp cinnamon
1tsp allspice

I usually add it end of boil and then adjust when I keg if need be

Good stuff guys, thanks.

I will make a spice mix with vodka tonight and introduce tomorrow.
I'm thinking .75tsp cinnamon, .75tsp, allspice, 1tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 vanilla bean; for 8 gallons of beer.

Thanks much,
Lakedawgs

Back