Help me with my dead pump, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I have this pump. I did a brew with it last night or at least tried to. It wouldn't come on. No noise or anything. I pulled the head off of it and the magnet inside wouldn't even spin when I plugged it in. The bearings are free but there's no power or at least it seems. I thought it might be a bad capacitor but, when I turned the cup magnet by hand the pump wouldn't start either. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?
IMG_20211218_130549_184.jpg

[edit] Did it ever work?
Can you not manually rotate the motor shaft with the pump head removed?
What does the pump head end look like?

Last edited:
I am sure you tried plugging into another power source…but did you check to see if there was power to the pump at the connection?

Can you not manually rotate the motor shaft with the pump head removed?
What does the pump head end look like?
Yes. Rotates easy. The motor spins freely.

Attachments

• 16398689980045873383329319198320.jpg
    16398689980045873383329319198320.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 16398690782515741568964032418630.jpg
    16398690782515741568964032418630.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 10
Ya. It's only been used for three or four brews and it worked fine the last time I brewed with it.

Does the pump motor make a humming sound or get warm after you turn it on?
If not, than one of two things; Heat Protection Grade means its got a thermal switch that could be defective, or a defective power cord
The thermal switch is inside the motor electric assembly and should be mounted on the armature winding. The easiest and least safe repair is to short the sensor. As for a possible bad power cord, try wiggling the cord when the motor should be on, if there is any reaction from the motor, it would be a clear sign of a bad connection.

I always test my pump before brew day. If it is making a strange noise, I take it apart and spray it with Di-Electric Grease Electrical Grade. Works every time!

If not, than one of two things; Heat Protection Grade means its got a thermal switch that could be defective, or a defective power cord
The thermal switch is inside the motor electric assembly and should be mounted on the armature winding. The easiest and least safe repair is to short the sensor. As for a possible bad power cord, try wiggling the cord when the motor should be on, if there is any reaction from the motor, it would be a clear sign of a bad connection.
No humming or anything. Just dead.
I will try what you said. I thought, maybe the capacitor but all that does is give a little more power to get the motor started. If it was a capacitor, you could spin the magnet by hand and the motor should start turning but, it won't. I think you are more on track with what it probably is. Thank you.

Damn if you weren't right! Needs a new plug end on the power cord! Thanks a lot, Brother!

Last edited:
No humming or anything. Just dead.
I will try what you said. I thought, maybe the capacitor but all that does is give a little more power to get the motor started. If it was a capacitor, you could spin the magnet by hand and the motor should start turning but, it won't. I think you are more on track with what it probably is. Thank you.
Slayer- Sorry bro, didn't see the label where it indicated a capacitor start. So for future reference, a bad cap or centrifugal switch will also make the motor hum. The cap start provides an extra field coil winding on the motor stator that is slightly out of step with the other windings giving it an extra push on startup. Once the armature starts spinning the centrifugal switch turns this cap and winding off, as it adds no more power to the motor once it is rotating.

Back