Help me understande CO2 Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlighter

Reaction score
I don't understand what people mean when they say something like "Carbonate to 4 volumes". Can someone explain this to me or point me to a resource that will explain it? I don't want to start carbonating my beers to differing volumes and not even understand what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

The "volumes" are in the middle of the chart. Temperature along the left and PSI along the top. Find your beer temperature, and the PSI it's sitting at, and where they meet is the carbonation level in volumes.

Table along the bottom shows suggested volumes for different types of beer.

Thanks for the chart! But I guess my question is, what specifically do they mean by the word volume?

Is 1 volume of CO2 equivalent to 1 liter of CO2 gas dissolved in 1 liter of water?

Yes, you got it. One volume of CO2 means that their is one liter of air dissolved into 1 liter of liquid. The reason everyone uses the volumes system is because of the variables of temperature and pressure that go into the equation. Two kegs can both have beer stored at 2.5 volumes of CO2, with one keg at 37 degrees and under 11 psi while the other could be at 60 degrees and 23 psi. Volumes, like gravity units for example, is a common unit which takes into account multiple variables.

The key with understanding volumes is that certain beer styles are mean to be served at different volumes of CO2. For example, some English Ales are served at 2.0 volumes of CO2, American Ales at 2.5-3.0 volumes, and Belgian Ales can be as high as 3.5-4.0 volumes. That is a big difference in terms of carbonation level and mouthfeel for your beer. There a lot of good resources you can refer to which will give you the suggested carbonation level based on that BJCP style. I believe you actually can find those suggestions on the BJCP site itself under each individual style.

Back