help me understand these burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hello everyone. On a previous thread I was trying to dial in my mash and boil volumes and the thread helped out a ton, but it led to burners and made me realize that I think I have been burning too much propane and am not very efficient in my brew day. Thanks to many members out there including Islandlizard I started researching burners.........and oh man, if you have ever done that it is a lot to take in. So instead of looking at what to buy I needed to look at what I actually have and what glaring upgrades I need to make. Of course going the Blichmann route would be nice, but the price tag I could do without. The pictures I have attached are of my two burners. The first 2 pics is the smaller burner that came in a turkey fryer kit. I am unsure of the model. The last 3 pics is other taller burner. It is a Bayou SP50. It was purchased basically for the height. Although I have brewed for a few years and have dissected most parts of my brew process I have not looked at the burners. I am completely ignorant when it comes to the burners (what kind are these?), regulators (what do the numbers on there mean?), BTUs, what is a banjo burner?, etc. Please tell me what I have and if it is adequate for what I am doing (usually a 8-13 gal boil). Thank you everyone. Cheers!

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

SP50.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

The second burner looks the same as what's in the Bayou Classic SP-10. The first one looks like the same burner in a different frame - could also be a Bayou Classic of some version or another.

They're both considered "high pressure" burners, fwiw.

The Bayou Classic KAB6 or is slighter brother KAB4 are two examples of the classic 10" "banjo" burner. The Blichmann Floor Burner is another example of what pretty much everyone believes is the same cast iron burner element, but in one hella durable frame...

Cheers!

[edit] Missed the other questions: the 5 and 10PSIG are the maximum pressure the regulators can be dialed up to.
And if you can cook up strike and sparge water and hit your boil fast enough to be happy, no need to upgrade...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back