Help me name my college homebrew business!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlBrewer

Reaction score
I am putting together a bunch of 1-gallon brewing and ingredient kits to sell at the farmers market and student marketplace at my university. I have recipes, equipment and ingredient kits put together there is just one problem, I don't have a good name! As a marketing major I'm a little disappointed I couldn't find a name but I figured this would be the best place to ask, so throw out any ideas!!! Thanks!

Also, if I use your name I will paypal you $20!!!

"Make your Own Beer kits"
i assume there extract kits?
but what styles? stouts, blondes, pale ales, etc? would be better to come up with a clever name for each style. and what university can help in the names

Age ?

sorry, gotta ask. Most folks in college are under 21...

Profile says 22, so if s/he's not 21 at least s/he's smart enough to lie about it. And that isnt necessarily even true anymore, the average amount of time that most students are spending in school at this point is rapidly becoming 5 years, raising the percentage of students aged over 21. I know myself, WillPall, and maybe several other college students on here that are supporting members.

FlBrewer, if you're selling 1 gallon kits I'd call them something along the lines of "Learn What You Like Homebrew Kits: Style of beer"

1 gallon is small, some would argue futile in terms of the time it takes to produce the amount of beer that it does, but it is a great way of learning beer styles!

Well, Mr. Beer and "Beer Machine" are taken, but you're making a better product. I'm no marketing expert, but I'd buy something that said "quick and easy and good", so I'd buy something like Craft-a-brew or Kit-brew.

Regardless of legal issues, college kids want something funny and catching. Here are a couple of the top of my head:

SuperBeer
BeerMan
Its Not Duff (most guys will get it)
Make your own Blue Ribbon beer (PBR is popular again in schools)
Tap Your Own Rockies
Shut the F**k Up and Brew Beer

I would go along those lines, a good name will ensure ppl will talk about it to their friends. "Hey did you see the name of that one booth? The Shut the F**k Up and Brew Beer Booth. What a name huh?"

It will work.

Brewniversity? Brew U? U of Brew?

Kinda cheesey, I know, but it sort of fits. Especially Brew U, as it's teaching university students how to brew their own.

I'll e-mail a Paypal address for the royalties.

Stealth Brewing Company?

Decent idea... Probably wanna make sure you have the appropriate business licenses and make it a policy to check the age of those whom you are selling to. While you are selling ingredients, not beer, selling to underage students will attract unwanted attention.

Remember, he's selling at a farmer's market as well as a college, so he has to appeal to both crowds.

Great names so far, thanks for all the input! Ill address some of the questions: Yes i'm over 21 and I will be selling at local farmers markets around the area as well as selling on the days when there is a "student marketplace" I'm looking for something that can be branded (so i can make a logo and maybe later an e-commerce website) so I'm looking for something short and clever. Once I have a name I will be applying for an LLC and a local business license to distribute. Does anyone know the laws about selling brewing kits to underage (freshman/sophomore) people?

Keep the names coming!!!

Beer-Baron : Brewkits

Remember that simpsons episode with prohibition and the beer baron?

That one is GREAT!!!!

BEER-BARON - Beer kits

Great names so far, thanks for all the input! Ill address some of the questions: Yes i'm over 21 and I will be selling at local farmers markets around the area as well as selling on the days when there is a "student marketplace" I'm looking for something that can be branded (so i can make a logo and maybe later an e-commerce website) so I'm looking for something short and clever. Once I have a name I will be applying for an LLC and a local business license to distribute. Does anyone know the laws about selling brewing kits to underage (freshman/sophomore) people?

Keep the names coming!!!

It's technically not illegal to sell ingredients to people of any age as far as I know, but it's generally considered a no-no. It's only going to take a couple of incidents where underage homebrewers get themselves or others killed for neo-prohibitionists and politicians to start calling for laws that will create serious headaches for us and the homebrewing industry.

Yeah i figure I will always IDs on campus (if i get approved) and off campus i will use my judgement to check ID's

If I were you, I would call your local authorities and check-up on the laws of this. No sense getting slapped with a big fine that could be prevented with a phone call. Just my opinion though. Would answer the how old do the buyers have to be? question too.

If I were you, I would call your local authorities and check-up on the laws of this. No sense getting slapped with a big fine that could be prevented with a phone call. Just my opinion though. Would answer the how old do the buyers have to be? question too.

Yeah I will do all my research before I start vending but first i need an LLC and for that i need a name so i'm stuck for now.

Haha i like that liquid panty remover but i want to market it to more then one crowd and i think some people may see that as distasteful

Do you have licences to sell?

I don't think he needs a license to sell malted barley extract, hops and yeast. He isn't selling alcohol.

What school? Where are you located? What's you mascott? These are all possible places for inspiration for catchy names.

I don't think he needs a license to sell malted barley extract, hops and yeast. He isn't selling alcohol.

What school? Where are you located? What's you mascott? These are all possible places for inspiration for catchy names.

Nope i dont need a license but i do need a business license thats all, UCF we are the Knights..

You may not need a license to sell homebrew supplies/ingredients, but you better reach out to whatever administrative office covers the marketplace to make sure they don't have regulations against it (often schools have rules against selling/distributing beer and may not care enough to make the distinction with what you are doing) and campus police (for similar reasons). Even if you are told it's ok, I'd get a name from both offices that you can cite as giving you approval.

The last thing you want is to have administrative problems at school that get in the way of your diploma...

Yeah i figure I will always IDs on campus (if i get approved) and off campus i will use my judgement to check ID's
I would make it a company policy that everyone that doesn't have gray hair is ID'd and a picture of their ID is taken with a camera and kept on file for a period of time. Also I would only sell to those able to brew it legally, ie 21 or older.

UniBrew (play on unique and university? You can have a guy with a Unibrow on your label)

Chem for the Arts (I dunno...)

Good Knights Beer Kits

UCFK Brews (maybe some slogan involving creativity and spelling... my eyes keep rearranging those 4 letters)

My hubby suggests : Beer Kits for Dumbwits

I am sure something brilliant will pop in my head later when I am not near a computer.

Good luck!

How about

BrewRealBeerNotSomeCrapYouStartedDrinkingWhenYouWere17

I'd use it :)

Back