Help me name my beer please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe73

Reaction score
All -

I just finished brewing a pumpernickel rye porter and was wondering if any of you creative folks out there could suggest a good name? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

Had to google pumpernickel to know just what it is. Turns out it originated in a little town in Germany in the 1400s so how about "Westphalia Porter"?

I kinda like "Pumpernickel Porter", but conversely, "Devils Fart" would also be suitable according to wikepedia. That being said, I Kinda like that also, "Devil's Fart Porter". Or, "Pumpen Nicholas Porter", or "Old Nick's Porter", or . . . .

There is a legend that Napoleon Bonaparte is responsible for the name. It appears he was in the country where his camp chef baked some bread with a strange local grain they'd never seen before. The resulting bread was dense, dark, and pungent.

Napoleon took one sniff and declared the bread "C'est pain pour Nicole", or "This is fit for my horse!" (His horse's name was Nicole). "pain pour Nicole" eventually became Pumpernickel.

So, I would call it "Napoleon's Horse Porter". Then you'll have a good story to go along with it when you explain the name to people.

Pumpelstiltskin. You know, like Rumpelstiltskin. He's from a German fairy-tale by the Brothers Grimm, and has been known to sing about brewing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin said:
"To-day do I bake, to-morrow I brew,
The day after that the queen's child comes in;
And oh! I am glad that nobody knew
That the name I am called is Rumpelstiltskin!"

Back