Help me fix a possible "mouthfeel" issue...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtB

I may be drunk, but I'm not sure.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just put Northern Brewer's "Dead Ringer" (2-Hearted) clone into the fermenter. This was only my 3rd all grain batch, and I ran into a little bit of an issue.

The good news was that I hit my estimated pre-boil gravity within 0.002 :rockin: and my post boil gravity was dead on.

Unfortunately, due to a thermometor issue (damn calibration was off) I missed my mash temp low. I wanted to mash at 152, but it was really about 146.

I know this will lead to a thinner beer. Is there anything I can do at this point to fix it, or will everything be fine? I know it will be beer, but I would like this to be good beer, not just drinkable. The earliest I would be able to add anything to the fermentor would be tomorrow night after work.

Thanks.

And before somebody asks for it, though it is a little late now, the grain bill for Dead Ringer is very simple:

11# Pale Malt (2-Row)
1# Caramel Malt 40L

I know for future batches, to check the calibration of the thermometer, but what can I do to this batch?

Thanks Yooper. The more I thought about it, that is what I figured I would end up doing, but if anybody else has any ideas let me know. If nothing else, it can go into my "if it happens again, try this" notes.

Back