Help me decide on a name for my homebrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Being a graphic designer I'm almost as excited about picking a name and coming up with labels for my home brewery. I've narrowed it down to three names, but am having trouble deciding maybe you all can help.

BlackSquall Brew - because I like pirates and the history behind them. Even came up with ideas for brew names such as Blunderbuzz Imperial IPA

Mythiq Brew - I love all things that have to do with mythology from Greek to Egyptian, the brew names would correspond with mythical creatures and heroes alike

Alechemy - I like puns and play on words but after researching there appeared to be a small brewery in the UK with the same name so I'm a bit hesitant

I think they all sound pretty cool.

Blacksquall- You're name is Jake Sparrow... seems fitting.

Mythiq Brew- eh.

Alechemy- yes, in my opinion overused. I see what you did with Ale. Like Alchemist Brewing in CT... And there's a brewery in Portland I think that has a beer named Alchemy or Alchemist or something, too.

Alechemy > Mythiq > BlackSquall

imho...
but it would be easier if you would pair it with the logos.

None of the above.

The first one reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean. Do you really want to name your brewery after a Disney ride? If you really love Disneyworld and that's your thing, then go for it.

The second one is passable, but too cutesy. If you love mythology, then pick a favorite mythological figure or place from mythology.

The third one is over-used.

Keep at it!

Seems like everyone is also split on the names. While I don't quite attribute BlackSquall to disneyworld, I can agree that I can do better so ill keep trying. Think I've eliminated alechemy from the running, just because there's already a brewery called the alchemist. Better to try for something completely original. Thanks all for your input

you can always find the nearest river and name your brewery with its name. seems like a good omen ;) at least here on the West Coast :)

Hahah well there's not any rivers by me but there's tons of lakes, lakes elsinore, perris, canyon, skinner.

Definitely have plenty of those around here, I guess the lake elsinore fault zone is one of the largest in Southern California but pretty quiet.

I could always go with the name of my old apparel company, Ethereal. Always thought it was a cool word. There's a few meanings but the one I remember is something like not of this world.

Hahah well there's not any rivers by me but there's tons of lakes, lakes elsinore, perris, canyon, skinner.

sounds like you're from the same area as I used to live...then you have only once choice:

Santa Ana River Brewing Company :)

I like the idea of the brewery being named after a major fault line then the beer names being named after other fault lines.
http://www.calfaults.com/

I'm from So. Cal. and honestly, if I were brewing there, I would steal that idea.

Being from SoCal faultlines and quakes are a part of who we are and it a good idea. But there is a local brewery by me called Aftershock and all of their beers are named after all things earthquake.

There's also a brewery called Craft Brewery and I'm not fond of that name because its a craft brewery called craft brewery.

I like the name Aleusion but it just doesn't look easy to say. But I like plays on words, so it appeals to me. Aleusionist would be cool but I worry about mis pronunciations.

My last name in reality is Cicotte so I went with Psychotic Brewing Co. Think about wordplay on something close to you or someone you love or something that defines you. :) Good Luck!

My last name is Seelye which everyone doesn't pronounce correctly. My significant others surname is Pennington. Seelington Brew? Haha.

Black Bart is cool it'd definitely be a good name for an imperial stout or black ipa

Wow thanks I never knew that. I will most certainly incorporate that in my brewline. Thanks for the heads up

Isle of Wight Brewing :tank:

The Seelye Family

The Family history started with Robert Seelye who sailed from the Isle of Wight, England in 1630 as Captain of one of the eleven vessels of John Winthrop’s fleet. He landed with his wife, his servant, and two sons and made his home in Watertown, Massachusetts.

http://www.bethellibrary.org/history/seelye-family/

I'd find out the names of the eleven vessels of John Winthrop's fleet and pick one of those names.

Wow thanks Psycotte I remember hearing something about my ancestor being a ship captain or sailing here from England but I never really read much into it. I was able to trace my family tree all the way back so I know I'm related.

Lando I think the one he was on was called Arabella, and it was the flagship. It's a cool name, the others aren't so fun. Definitely considering this name.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas

Back