Help me decide between Spike CF10 and SSBrewtech Unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before looking on the previous page, I thought this was a freezerless refrigerator. Off topic, sorry OP but briefly Dewfang - mind sharing the make and model?

I must be missing it, but 700 for a big freezer that you still have too lift the conical into. I just built a glycol ac unit system for 50 bucks. Works perfectly, I can disconnect the conical and wheel it to the the boil kettle to fill. Cost aside, less space required and no lifting.

I would like a means to build a sterile air fermentation chamber for 68F-32F, in a garage with ambient range 120F- [15f]. I could roll an open, 20 gallon vat from brewhouse to that controlled, sterile fermentation chamber.

I must be missing it, but 700 for a big freezer that you still have too lift the conical into. I just built a glycol ac unit system for 50 bucks. Works perfectly, I can disconnect the conical and wheel it to the the boil kettle to fill. Cost aside, less space required and no lifting.

What you’re missing is I already had the big freezer and as far as lifting that thing full, that ain’t gonna happen. I’ll be using a chugger pump for wort transfer and cip. Don’t get me wrong I’d like to have a glycol chiller at some point but I’m just using what I have for now. Also being in Florida with the humidity in my garage where I do my brewing and storage a good insulated jacket is a must which is something I won’t have to worry about in the freezer.

I’m sure the steel is not as thick as some glass carboys plus steel conducts heat better and easier! Short answer is it works very well..

I am glad I found this thread. I am trying to make the choice between these two brands, but at the 1/2 barrel size.

It looks like this thread has lost some steam can anyone post an update about experiences with either of these unitanks?

I found this on the SS Brewtech site https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...unitank_all_unitsnew.jpg?11887141875371638501

On a side note:
It indicates that SPIKE is made in China but the specialized welding is done in USA? Personally, I will always go with a domestic product of equal quality as long as the price is reasonable.

Cheers, Tim

That comparison chart is a little out of date now - Spike does now offer a PRV manifold with gas in and a gauge, and they have a carb stone option too. A temp control system and neoprene jacket are coming.

Spike purchases the basic conical without ports from China and then welds all of the ports in the MN using sanitary welding techniques. The work on mine is flawless.

If you want all of the bells and whistles then they end up being about the same price. I went with Spike as I didn’t need/want all of the stuff on the SSBT model. I’m not a huge fan of the Spike lid and clamp but it is much better than their old one and it will be easier to clean than the SSBT model which basically requires you to use a CIP process (potentially more cost). I haven’t used my Spike yet as it just arrived. For me the ala carte options made it the better fit.

I’m being very nit picky here but I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the etching. There’s a smear on their logo that appears to have happened after the etching - I’m guessing during when they welded on the fitting below the logo. When I asked them about it they said it was normal. But two people have commented on it and it is disappointing to have this shiny and expensive piece of equipment with a flaw on their logo.

Other than that very minor issue I’m really happy with my purchase of the Spike and am excited to use it. The quality of this product is top notch.

IMG_0590.jpg

Hey guys, any updated thoughts on this topic? I also at am a crossroads between these two brands’ 1/2 BBL unitanks.

Hey guys, any updated thoughts on this topic? I also at am a crossroads between these two brands’ 1/2 BBL unitanks.

Was just thinking about pricing as we are all keeping our eye on the impending steel tariff. No matter the brand you choose, sooner is better than later anticipating price increases.

I have Ss and 100% happy. My brewing buddy uses Spike and is totally pleased. I don't think the differences are significant. He likes the detachable "lid" on his Spike and I prefer the 6" port on mine. Either is top shelf and I have stuck with Ss since the brew bucket days. Brand loyalty I suppose.

I have a coke fridge that I’m using to control temps with my Speidel plastic fermenters. I’m looking to pull the trigger on a Spike conical or Brewtech unitank. How well does the freezer cool through the thick stainless of the Spike?

I’ve been using a commercial fridge for one of my half bbl conicals for a few years now. If you have the space it’s a great solution. I can crash to 33-34 overnight on half barrels. 32 takes another day. A small space heater and a good temp controller and your good to go between 32 and 85. So you can make any style any time of year.

Those coke units are decent units. They are designed for heavy use and have good compressors. You may want to look for the original pdf for set up. I think they are set to 38-40. You can usually offset the temp control for elevation which will let the unit run colder without any additional mods to the unit. I have a few old units from true and victory with that option.

Don’t worry about stainless thickness. Your speidel is a better insulator that steel. Pick your unit based on the features you want. Personally I have two of the cheap ss conicals and they work great. If I were deciding between a uni tank and a bright tank I’d always go uni tank. While you could argue a bright tank has a purpose in a home brew set up it’s not necessary. A uni tank allows for so much flexibility. Ferment, clarify, add adjuncts and carbonate is a great set of tools. You can carb in a keg.

Thanks for the reply @Morrey. My two main concerns are 1) the removable lid of the Spike vessel - not sure I like the look of that seal and the associated management. And 2) supposedly the SS vessel was rated up to 30 PSI, the Spike PRV looks like it is set for 12-13 PSI.

Right now I'm leaning toward SS merely for those reasons.

Thanks for the reply @Morrey. My two main concerns are 1) the removable lid of the Spike vessel - not sure I like the look of that seal and the associated management. And 2) supposedly the SS vessel was rated up to 30 PSI, the Spike PRV looks like it is set for 12-13 PSI.

Right now I'm leaning toward SS merely for those reasons.

The lid is awesome imo cause it makes it easier to clean. You are correct that the spike conical is rated for 15 psi though.

I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly so just go with whatever one is speaking to you haha.

I’ve been using a commercial fridge for one of my half bbl conicals for a few years now. If you have the space it’s a great solution. I can crash to 33-34 overnight on half barrels. 32 takes another day. A small space heater and a good temp controller and your good to go between 32 and 85. So you can make any style any time of year.

Those coke units are decent units. They are designed for heavy use and have good compressors. You may want to look for the original pdf for set up. I think they are set to 38-40. You can usually offset the temp control for elevation which will let the unit run colder without any additional mods to the unit. I have a few old units from true and victory with that option.

Don’t worry about stainless thickness. Your speidel is a better insulator that steel. Pick your unit based on the features you want. Personally I have two of the cheap ss conicals and they work great. If I were deciding between a uni tank and a bright tank I’d always go uni tank. While you could argue a bright tank has a purpose in a home brew set up it’s not necessary. A uni tank allows for so much flexibility. Ferment, clarify, add adjuncts and carbonate is a great set of tools. You can carb in a keg.

DCP, do you happen to have a pic of your fridge setup?

Spike has contacted me about my cosmetic and valve issue and also the service I experienced. I’m pleased.

I can tell you that the seal on the Spike is easy to clean. It’s nothing like the older style with two pieces and there’s no slots or creases to deal with. About as easy as cleaning the o ring on a keg lid only it’s 10X wider.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger today on the 1/2 bbl SS Brewtech Unitank. Chose that over the Spike due to my reservations around that gasket and the cost being comparable once all the accessories were factored. Hope that was a good call, time will tell.

Pulled the trigger today on the 1/2 bbl SS Brewtech Unitank. Chose that over the Spike due to my reservations around that gasket and the cost being comparable once all the accessories were factored. Hope that was a good call, time will tell.

I use Ss uni's so naturally I'd say "Good Call". However I haven't used or even had a chance to see a Spike CF in person, so my opinion is limited. All said and done, when you dress them up the same, the price difference is negligible. The only comparison I can remotely offer is that I started out with Ss BrewBuckets which had non-TC lids and a large gasket. Although I'm sure some will disagree, I felt the lid spring clamps and gasket was the weak link in the chain albeit Spike's lid is held differently (ring clamp vs spring latch) than a BrewBucket. Once I started with TC clamps, they are a beast and do not seem prone to sealing problems!

What are your plans to control temps? Did you get the FTSs or FTSs2?

Last edited:
What you’re missing is I already had the big freezer and as far as lifting that thing full, that ain’t gonna happen. I’ll be using a chugger pump for wort transfer and cip. Don’t get me wrong I’d like to have a glycol chiller at some point but I’m just using what I have for now. Also being in Florida with the humidity in my garage where I do my brewing and storage a good insulated jacket is a must which is something I won’t have to worry about in the freezer.

The humidity issue and condensation control is a pretty big deal in our southern climates. There are plusses and minuses to every scenario, but condensation control shines as a biggie for you.

I use Ss uni's so naturally I'd say "Good Call". However I haven't used or even had a chance to see a Spike CF in person, so my opinion is limited. All said and done, when you dress them up the same, the price difference is negligible. The only comparison I can remotely offer is that I started out with Ss BrewBuckets which had non-TC lids and a large gasket. Although I'm sure some will disagree, I felt the lid spring clamps and gasket was the weak link in the chain albeit Spike's lid is held differently (ring clamp vs spring latch) than a BrewBucket. Once I started with TC clamps, they are a beast and do not seem prone to sealing problems!

Thanks for the feedback. I got the FTSs2 as temp control was the #1 issue i’m trying to address with the unitank. Planning to run a short line into a bucket of water in a neighboring kegerator, see how that goes.

Sadly I tried to get the coil extender for chilling smaller batches but they only make the extensions for the Chronical. And they were out of stock on the mini CIP ball. But otherwise i’m all set!

Thanks for the feedback. I got the FTSs2 as temp control was the #1 issue i’m trying to address with the unitank. Planning to run a short line into a bucket of water in a neighboring kegerator, see how that goes.

Sadly I tried to get the coil extender for chilling smaller batches but they only make the extensions for the Chronical. And they were out of stock on the mini CIP ball. But otherwise i’m all set!

Another HBT member who plans to recirc chilled water from a corny keg in a fridge is mongoose33. Maybe you guys can compare notes as he is meticulously detailed.

You can always try brewhardware.com as they are a source of fittings that you may find a need for.

The way a Uni tanks coils are designed I don’t see a way for coil extensions to be used. Once you get the tank you’ll immediately see what I mean. Depending on your batch size, you may be able to get by.

Another HBT member who plans to recirc chilled water from a corny keg in a fridge is mongoose33. Maybe you guys can compare notes as he is meticulously detailed.

You can always try brewhardware.com as they are a source of fittings that you may find a need for.

The way a Uni tanks coils are designed I don’t see a way for coil extensions to be used. Once you get the tank you’ll immediately see what I mean. Depending on your batch size, you may be able to get by.

Like you and I have seen, a day can make a big difference in the IPA. I never actually did any early testing as we are currently doing, so I am blown away that a 2 week old beer can be considered excellent.

By the way, I like your glass showing a gorgeous example of a hazy IPA.

You will always be able to find replacement gaskets for tri clamps fittings. Specialty gaskets may not always be available as companies come and go. This potential trade war has me worried about Chinese imports. I like spike stuff but I think you made a prudent call.

You will always be able to find replacement gaskets for tri clamps fittings. Specialty gaskets may not always be available as companies come and go. This potential trade war has me worried about Chinese imports. I like spike stuff but I think you made a prudent call.

Excellent point, and the long term availability of proprietary parts including lid gaskets designed specifically for this one unique application is a point well made. We all hope these companies weather the trade storm that is potentially coming our way with China.

Conversely, as @Dcpcooks says, TC clamps, fittings and gaskets are used in a far wider scope than beer making and breweries. My college roommate followed his dad's footsteps into their dairy farm industry, and his milking machines rely on TC fittings to operate. TC application is universal, and I don't see this system going anywhere.

Can someone please comment on the ability of the CF15 or 15g SS unitank to keep lagering temps on the minimum batch size of 5g? I've heard someone say that it may not be efficient..

Are people safely carbonating the SS unitanks at 30psi at ~65-70 F? This would be a big upsell to carbonate ales during fermentation in order to increase batch turnover.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Can someone please comment on the ability of the CF15 or 15g SS unitank to keep lagering temps on the minimum batch size of 5g? I've heard someone say that it may not be efficient..

Are people safely carbonating the SS unitanks at 30psi? This would be a big upsell to carbonate during fermentation in order to increase batch turnover.

Thanks!

Can't comment on your first question but I bought the carb stone and used it for the first time last weekend. Had carbed beer in 24 hrs with fermenter temp of 36 and psi set to 10.

Can't comment on your first question but I bought the carb stone and used it for the first time last weekend. Had carbed beer in 24 hrs with fermenter temp of 36 and psi set to 10.

Cheers. I should have specified the temperature - edited now. The scenario I was thinking of was to fermenting at ~65 to 70 F and towards the end of fermentation at this temp, ramp up the pressure regulator 30ish psi and carbonate naturally. The CF15 wouldn't be able to do that at 15psi pressure rating.

Ss tanks have an internal safe pressure rating of 30 psi but their PRV is set to relieve at 18 psi.

Cheers. I should have specified the temperature - edited now. The scenario I was thinking of was to fermenting at ~65 to 70 F and towards the end of fermentation at this temp, ramp up the pressure regulator 30ish psi and carbonate naturally. The CF15 wouldn't be able to do that at 15psi pressure rating.

Ah yeah I missed that you were talking about the ss one there.

Are people safely carbonating the SS unitanks at 30psi at ~65-70 F? This would be a big upsell to carbonate ales during fermentation in order to increase batch turnover.

Thanks!

Thanks for the interest in Spike! All of our tanks are specially designed to be able to ferment a full batch and half batch. The CF15 can do 3 batch sizes; 15g, 10g and 5g. Paired with our TC-100 temp controller it will be able to efficiently handle any batch size we advertise. See below for cutaway of how low the coils sit:

Coil_Cutaway_282fe500-7065-4fb4-a931-49abaeb5c4c7.jpg

From the brewers we've talked to you usually will not want to apply much pressure during active fermentation as it can stress the yeast. We recommend fermenting out for ~7 days, cold crash to 38F for 1 day and force carb for 12-24hrs.

From the brewers we've talked to you usually will not want to apply much pressure during active fermentation as it can stress the yeast. We recommend fermenting out for ~7 days, cold crash to 38F for 1 day and force carb for 12-24hrs.

Thanks for the info! Not only for carbonation, I'm interested in pressurised ferments because of the potential benefits of keeping hop aromas in beer and reducing yeast volatile production. However, I understand that sub 15psi ferments are fine for these purposes.

So a second question, can I safely set up a pressure release valve at ,say, 8psi, to experiment with pressurised ferments? someone said maybe yeast could clog the valve and cause fermenter damage.. but is there a possibility for a secondary pressure release valve in case the valve set at 8psi valve fails?

Thanks for the info! Not only for carbonation, I'm interested in pressurised ferments because of the potential benefits of keeping hop aromas in beer and reducing yeast volatile production. However, I understand that sub 15psi ferments are fine for these purposes.

So a second question, can I safely set up a pressure release valve at ,say, 8psi, to experiment with pressurised ferments? someone said maybe yeast could clog the valve and cause fermenter damage.. but is there a possibility for a secondary pressure release valve in case the valve set at 8psi valve fails?
oops didn't mean to post this

I often close off the BO valve on my Ss Uni tank so the final stages of fermentation will help naturally carb the beer. If I anticipate FG to be perhaps 1.010, I'll close the BO at around 1.020. This will create a surprising amount of pressure inside the tank. I'd like to know more of how the yeast performs under pressure as I understand fermenting under pressure can potentially have multiple benefits.

I'll also be interested to see how (and if) Uni tank owners control the pressure relief within their tanks. I know with my Ss Uni the PRV is set at 18 psi and I don't see anyway to change the relieving pressure unless I modify the internal spring or find a new valve. When I see pressure building toward the relief stage, I'll crack the BO valve and bleed off some of the excess pressure.

Or perhaps someone has designed a way for a spunding valve to be used so the pressure is easily adjustable. If this is the case, I'd like to know how the spunding valve is placed in the system to relieve pressure.

Last edited:
Just a quick post. Most of the posts here are pretty spot on. I just received my Spike CF10 today. ive spent the day cleaning and assembling etc. I also have a SS BME Chronical (14 gallon). While I havent had a chance to actually use the spike I will say compared to the BME its a step up in quality. I cannot speak to the unitank which is definitely a better comparison. Ive had my BME for years now. its never failed me and is a quality piece of equipment that is miles above a bucket and has improved my beer considerably. In short, both of what I have I am very happy with and can find few flaws. The spike is just better built than the BME and I look forward to using it as a pressurized vessel. That said I also pressure push etc from my BME and with a little ingenuity you can use it for many of the benefits of the unis (not all of course). Ive accessed customer service with SS more than a few times and they are great. My Spike came with all the accessories I ordered (and there were more than a few) in just THREE DAYS. Much of it is simply gonna come down to personal choice honestly. The quality of both companies is very high.

Back