Help me decide between 3 different kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolhand78

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a somewhat newbie extract brewer looking to upgrade to stovetop brew-in-a-bag. I don't see my self moving beyond stovetop anytime soon, but I guess never say never. My gas stove has a "power burner" and should be able to do pretty well for most brews.

My biggest limitation is the dimensions on my kettle must be no more than 14"x14". This means the kettle can't be any larger than 8.5 or 9 gallons.

Here are the three kettles I'm considering:

1) http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-32-QUART-BREWKETTLE-P2365C50.aspx

This is the cheaper option. Thinner stainless steel, weld-less ball valve. Is welded better?

2) http://morebeer.com/products/85-gallon-stainless-brew-kettle.html

3) http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Pot-_p_1684.html#

The last two links seem to be pretty similar, but the MoreBrew is $10 more (not on sale), larger dimensions (but listed as 8.5 gallon), and it doesn't list the gauge of the material. With both of these, the ball valve is not included, and I wouldn't get a thermometer (yet?), and would fit a 1/2" plug in upper welded coupling. Reason for not getting a thermometer is I am limited to ice baths for chilling (long story), and I fear a thermometer could be damaged by being submerged.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with any of these kettles or the products from either company?

Thanks for your input!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Sta...05&prg=10240&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=190835924832&rt=nc

These concord pots are super popular right now, great cost and free shipping on the link I posted. They do offer a 30 quart but I didn't see it in the drop down menu for some reason, the 40 quart is still in your measurement range though I believe. It's 80 bucks with free shipping. I own the 25 gallon version, much thicker and heavier for something inexpensive than I hoped for.

By getting a 40 quart (a full 10 gallons), you would leave yourself the option of using it as a HLT or mash tun should your journey in brewing ever take you to that place.

My advice when purchasing a kettle is to go big. I bought a 32 quart that worked OK for 5 gallon extract brewing, but now it's useless for all grain. I then bought a 52 quart for BIAB, but is a little small for 10 gallon traditional all grain batches. Soon I will be upgrading to 20 gallon HLT and boil kettle.

Also, you can save some money by adding the weldless fittings yourself. You just need a step bit and a drill, it's easy to drill the hole yourself.

Some people have to have stainless, but I like aluminum just fine and it conducts heat better. I like these Winware pots on Amazon, they are very thick.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CHKLCC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Why are you limiting yourself to 14" diameter? If you're using a gas burner, the kettle can have a larger footprint than the burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand all of the reasons to go as big as possible, but right now I don't see myself moving beyond indoor, stovetop brewing. I'm limited to 14" high so the kettle will fit on my stove, under the microwave. This would give about 4" clearance.

I'm limited to a 14" diameter, so the kettle will fit in my sink for an ice bath to chill. I can't do an immersion chiller (wish I could!), because our kitchen faucet is one of those all-in-one sprayers that won't connect to a hose. However, the sink is extra wide, so I can use a lot of ice and add more as necessary.

So as far as I can tell, 14"x14" limits me to no more than 8.5 or 9 gallons.

Also, is it recommended to add a stainless steel ball valve to an aluminum kettle? I understand installation of a weld-less valve is a relatively simple project, but I was considering the welded kettles I posted, because I got the impression that welded is better so it doesn't leak and is easier to clean. Are these valid concerns, or not?

I use the morebeer one you linked to, with a ball valve on the bottom and a combo sight glass and thermometer (bargainfittings.com) on top. It does great with full 5 gal boils. Can get a little tight at the beginning of 90 minute boils, but otherwise, no complaints or craftsmanship/quality issues.

Are you in an apartment or condo?

My chiller won't hook up to my sink either, but the garden hose works just fine.

8 or 9 gallons should be OK. You could consider using a pump to recirculate your ice water and use an immersion chiller instead of an ice bath. 5 gallons in an ice bath is a bit of a problem. Also part of the up side to a ball valve is not having to lift the kettle, which an ice bath negates.

No, I'm in a house. I could use a hose, but that sounds like it would be somewhat of a pain, and I wouldn't be able to use a hose in winter (I live in Wisconsin).

What about freezing water bottles, sanitizing them with starsan, and then putting them directly in the wort, while also doing an ice bath?

Are you in an apartment or condo?

My chiller won't hook up to my sink either, but the garden hose works just fine.

Yeah, I thought of the pump idea, but that would be last resort. Part of my reason for wanting to do biab is that I don't want to invest in a whole ton of equipment.

I don't think lifting the kettle to the ice bath will be a big deal, because the sink no more than 2 steps away from my stove.

Should I not bother with the ball valve, and just auto-siphon into my carboy?

8 or 9 gallons should be OK. You could consider using a pump to recirculate your ice water and use an immersion chiller instead of an ice bath. 5 gallons in an ice bath is a bit of a problem. Also part of the up side to a ball valve is not having to lift the kettle, which an ice bath negates.

I have a cheap submersible pump from amazon that I use to pump cold water from a cooler into my immersion chiller. It was less than 25. You can ever do that with ice water in a 5gal bucket. Works great and you can use any temp and not just rely on ground water temps. To me, I wouldn't want my ball valve in a water bathroom sanitary reasons and I would want to not have a ball valve. Just my thoughts. I also brew in a kitchen with one of this all in one sinks.

I can almost guarantee all those kettles are the same manufacturer. Just bought the third option and drilled a hole for my recirc arm and they are not flimsy nor cheap. You could get away without a sight glass and if you want to go lower cost just get a ball valve and thermometer.

Since you do live in a house you can do what I used to do. I installed a Garden Hose Fitting (GHF) Y Adapter to my washing machine cold water outlet. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about 3 or 4 dollars. I just rolled the garden hose up in the utility room when I didn't need it or unhooked it. The other side of my immersion chiller I just let it drain in the sink. Immersion chilling would be so perfect if you could because you wouldn't be quite as limited on your pot selection, not to mention the area you live in is perfect for that type of chilling.

Yeah, I thought of whether or not to have a ball valve submerged in an ice bath, but when I asked about this in a previous post most people said it shouldn't be a sanitation concern if I just spray the inside of the valve with some starsan prior to transfering the wort.

Think I'm better off without the valve, and just auto siphoning into my carboy?

I have a cheap submersible pump from amazon that I use to pump cold water from a cooler into my immersion chiller. It was less than 25. You can ever do that with ice water in a 5gal bucket. Works great and you can use any temp and not just rely on ground water temps. To me, I wouldn't want my ball valve in a water bathroom sanitary reasons and I would want to not have a ball valve. Just my thoughts. I also brew in a kitchen with one of this all in one sinks.

I was going to ask: Will the kettle dimensions you seek, still fit in the sink with a ball valve poking out the side?

I could see it adding at a minimum of 4 inches to the O.D.......

Yeah, that won't be a problem. I think the dimensions on my sink are 25" x 16" or something like that.

I was going to ask: Will the kettle dimensions you seek, still fit in the sink with a ball valve poking out the side?

I could see it adding at a minimum of 4 inches to the O.D.......

I've been using the 8 Gallon pot from Williams since I started home brewing several years ago. It works great for 5 gallon extract batches and fits on a stove top well - I shift mine over to straddle 2 burners at once. I have absolutely no reservation about recommending them to anyone.

I hate to resurrect an on old thread, but do you know what gauge material this pot is made from? It looks very similar to the 32qt pot listed on the AIH site (sold as 18 gauge)...

http://www.homebrewing.org/Two-Weld-8-Gallon-32-qt-Stainless-Steel-Pot-_p_5246.html

Close enough to make me think it is the same pot listed with a different description on morebeer. Anybody know for sure?

Cheers,
Brian

I use the morebeer one you linked to, with a ball valve on the bottom and a combo sight glass and thermometer (bargainfittings.com) on top. It does great with full 5 gal boils. Can get a little tight at the beginning of 90 minute boils, but otherwise, no complaints or craftsmanship/quality issues.

I hate to resurrect an on old thread, but do you know what gauge material this pot is made from? I looks very similar to the 32qt pot listed on the AIH site (sold as 18 gauge)...

http://www.homebrewing.org/Two-Weld-8-Gallon-32-qt-Stainless-Steel-Pot-_p_5246.html

Close enough to make me think it is the same pot listed with a different description on morebeer. Anybody know for sure?

Cheers,
Brian

Yep- same one (or at least same handles and lid). Mine is still holding up well. Thinking of moving up to a larger one, but only to facilitate 10 gallon batches.

Back