Help me classify this please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranman481

Reaction score
I unexpectedly stopped at a home brew supply shop that I had never been into before. Their prices were good so I decided to throw something together. I walked out with 1 pound of Cara Munich malt, 6.6 pounds of Munich liquid malt extract, 2 ounces of Hallertau hops and a package of Lallemand dry Munich yeast. You can see my thought pattern (Munich). This is the first time I have ever bought ingredients without having a preconceived recipe in hand. I didn't know what to expect. I came out really good! The problem I have is that I don't really know what to call it because I don't really know what classification it would fit into. What do you folks think?

Buy Beersmith for $25 and create your own recipes to style. It really is the easiest way to fit style guidelines. Beersmith is the best brewing software IMO and easy to use.

All that Munich malt sounds like one of those amber-to-brown German lager styles, bock or dünkel or somesuch... but, the Munich yeast is an ale yeast typically used in a hefeweizen, if I'm not mistaken? This is indeed a conundrum.

All that Munich malt sounds like one of those amber-to-brown German lager styles, bock or dünkel or somesuch... but, the Munich yeast is an ale yeast typically used in a hefeweizen, if I'm not mistaken? This is indeed a conundrum.

Yes, I agree. The beer fits no particular style guidelines. It's a basic German ale or lager from the hops and extract, but with Munich yeast (a hefeweizen yeast), it's none of the above.

Exactly my point. It didn't seem to fit anything in particular. It's good though...so there is that! LOL

Thanks for all the feedback. I sort of figured that I ended up with a Franken-beer!

Back