Help Me Choose Some Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedF150

Reaction score
Hey all, been a while since I've poked around these parts. I've been brewing lots but haven't spent much time on the forum. I've really stepped full force into creating recipes and my most current is for a kolsch. It will be on the lighter side of light coming in with an O.G. of 1.048 and the SRM will be 3.6. IBU's at about 29. I'm going for the most floral/fruity aroma and taste I can achieve without adding any fruit. So I need to find a yeast the will complement the hop character of mixed berry/pinapple/tropical and maybe add to it a little, but still let the malt be noticed. I plan on doing a whirlpool hopping and dry hopping. Also depending on what yeast I decide on I would like some imput on fermenting temps and at what point to add the dry hops to take advantage of the end of fermentation.
Thanx for your help

I brewed a kolsch this past August and used WLP029 and was very happy with it. I did not dry hop mine though (IBU 25).

Fermented at 62˚.

Good resource--There is another tab on there for "Kolsch & Altbier", which are technically ales.

The 029 fermented ~64* no more then 67* will give the fruityness your looking for and clear 2-3 weeks sooner than 2565 or 2575. Do not take that yeast below 59* it slows way down and gives an off flavor similar to Neo1945 at low temps. With 2565 and 2575 I start at 55*and rise to 59* over 3 days,when the temp drops by 1* the bulk or fermenting is done and I ramp it up to 68* to finish. I don't touch either one for 3 weeks in primary and then lager for 2weeks 029 and 4 weeks 2565, 2575.

To make it a Kolsch, you pretty much have to use 2565, 2575, or WLP029. The grain and hop bills are a smaller part of making a good Kolsch, the yeast is what gives it the unique characteristics (dry vinous taste at back of throat, some very faint fruitiness). I absolutely love 'em, they are my go to light beer.

I think your plan sounds good, but if you have not made one before, I would suggest making two batches. The fruity hops (I'm assuming citra and/or mosaic) and hop forward nature will pretty much obliterate the subtleties of the yeast. It sounds really tasty, but I would consider first making a Kolsch grain and hop bill (1.050 using pils and a touch of wheat) + 25 IBU with german noble additions at 60 and possibly 30 minutes. Ferment 2565 at 58 for two weeks, rise to 65 for 2 days, then secondary on gelatin for 3 weeks somewhere around 35F.

Then harvest yeast from that and make the hop forward fruity Kolsch. Bam, I bet you get two totally different, yet awesome beers.

Wow tons of good info here. Im thinking of going with the 029, just wasnt sure about it giving the fruity character. What about dry hopping while the yeast are still active? When is the best time to add the hops so tje yeast help pull out the special oils im after?

I believe it's more the alcohol that pulls out the hop flavors. Wait til the yeast are done and dry hop warm (68-70). Colder dry hop = less extraction

Back