Help Me Before I go stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

Reaction score
I had this idea from previous readings that making a cranberry hard apple cider drink sounds appealing. But as a novice brewer should I do this from a concentrate or look for gallons of the cranberry juice without preservatives? I have 2 batches from a similar blend but want a different taste on my 3 batch.

What blend should I use like 3 gallons of apple cider/juice and a couple gallons of cranberry juice? I will never know unless I get some input or just go for it. I have no problems with this method, but some input would keep me from drinking a rank batch. I am a novice brewer don't mind taking risks but don't want to waste my time or money.

Best to look for bottles of juice without preservatives. Also, are you saying you want to do a 5 gallon batch but unsure what the ratio of cranberry to apple should be? I would do 3 gallons apple 2 gallons cranberry and 2 lbs sugar.

In truth, this is juice. Either it will be too much cranberry (not bad if you like cranberry) or too much apple (also not bad). In the end, you can easily do a 3 to 2 ratio but down to ounces and taste it. With cider your options are limitless in many cases.

I recommend going light on cranberry as I did a cherry cider that had waaaay too much cherry juice in it now I'm forcing 12 litre a down my gob...

Keep in mind unless its 100% cranberry, at most (ocean spray) will be a 27% cocktail, generics are more like a 15%. I'd do no more than 10% cranberry (@100% juice) last I priced, 100% was about $40/gallon

What I was able to get was Ocean Spray 100% Juice a blend of 4 juices from concentrate. No sugar added and no preservatives. This is in a 1 gal. jug so maybe looking at adding just 1 gal to a 4 gal of cider which maybe should be a decent blend without overwhelming with a cranberry only flavor.

From Ocean Spray, you'll mostly get sugars (not sure if the "other" juice is apple or pear or both).
Cranberry adds mostly body to cider, a little drying to the sides of your tounge, and a bit of tartness. At 20% of total blend you'll most likely not notice. If anything it will just bump your OG up. Pear juice has most sugar by volume followed by apple then cranberry.

From Ocean Spray, you'll mostly get sugars (not sure if the "other" juice is apple or pear or both).
Cranberry adds mostly body to cider, a little drying to the sides of your tounge, and a bit of tartness. At 20% of total blend you'll most likely not notice. If anything it will just bump your OG up. Pear juice has most sugar by volume followed by apple then cranberry.
You are correct there is a small percentage of sugar in this bottle around 28g and other juices are apple, grape and pear. Maybe 1/2 gallon might give me what I am looking for, just want something a little different and would like to experiment just a little. Thanks for the reply.

Back