Help make a pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I am just made a starter with some White Labs Cali V yeast. I plan on brewing a pale ale sunday with the random ingredients that I have, so was looking for a little feedback on a recipe.
Hops I have: Centennial(2oz), Perle(1oz), Chinook(1oz), Amarillo(1oz), Target(1oz), Cascade(lots).
I have lots of 2-row, and along with crystal 20, 40, 75, 120, and carapils.

I brew 10 gallons, so was thinking something basic like:

16 lbs 2-row
2 lb C-40
1 lb carapils

1 oz centennial at 60 min
2 oz cascade at 10 min
1 oz cascade at 0 min

Any advice on hops and grain would be appreciated

It's a flavor preference but I would switch your chinook into the bittering section and move some centennial and amarillo for flavor/aroma and then dry hop with your cascade.

1 oz chinook at 60 min
1 oz centennial at 20
1oz centennial at 10
1 oz amarillo for aroma at flameout
2 oz cascade for dry-hopping the last 7 days before bottling.

Looks similar to SNPA. They use C60. Up the 0 min addition to 3 ozs and you should be close.

It's a flavor preference but I would switch your chinook into the bittering section and move some centennial and amarillo for flavor/aroma and then dry hop with your cascade.

1 oz chinook at 60 min
1 oz centennial at 20
1oz centennial at 10
1 oz amarillo for aroma at flameout
2 oz cascade for dry-hopping the last 7 days before bottling.

I like this, but seems like a lot of hops for a pale ale. maybe I'll scale it down a little bit and try it.

The grain bill looks solid. I personally like the aroma combination of Cascade and Centennial. I use it often in my IPA's. It's kind of citrusy and flowery. So, my suggestion is: 1 oz Target & 1 oz. Perle @ 60 min. 1 oz Cascade @ 10 min, and 1 oz. each Cascade and Centennial @ flameout. According to Beersmith this recipe should come out something like this:

OG - 1.051
IBU - 32
SRM - 8

Just my thoughts.:drunk:

Back