Help interpreting brewing directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da11en47

Reaction score
Hello,

So I've been trying different kits from different places with some ok results. This latest one is a Brown Ale, similar to Newcastle I'm hoping, bought locally. The directions for this kit are more detailed than previous True Brew kits I've bought of Amazon. The first direction is pretty straight forward.

1. Steep grains in 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of hot water at 155 degrees for 30 min.

2. Drain tea from grains into boiling kettle, rinse one or two times with hot water (170 degrees).

#2 is where I'm a bit confused, I will have the main pot with the 2 1/2 to 3 gallons with the result of the steeped grains. But it almost sounds to me like it wants me to have a separate "kettle" aside to wring out the grains?

Or do I just bring the temperate up on the main pot and wring out the bag of grains in there?

Thank you for any help.

Just bring the same kettle up to that point. No need to separate it into another kettle since you're going to be doing the boil in that anyways.

Don't wring, just take 170 water, hold your bag over your boil kettle and pour the 170 water slowly over it collecting the water in the boil kettle. Then top off the boil kettle to the 2.5-3 gallons for the boil. This is not a mandatory step but it will rinse more sugar and flavor out of the grain. Many people just hold the bag and let it drain for a minute into the kettle. But don't wring it, you could extract tannins.

Also you can boil a little more than the called for 2.5-3 gallons if your pot will hold it. If not then just don't rinse but do hold the grain bag over your pot and let it all drain out without wringing.

Back