Help!! I'm brewing right now!! Carboy stoppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albysurfin

Reaction score
Hi Guys I am brewing right now, I am making a 10 gallon batch and am going to split it into 2 6.5 gallon glass carboys. The problem I have been having lately is that when I try to put the #7 drilled stopper in when it is wet it seems to pop out. Last night I also brewed and really forced the #7 in adn it went right into the carboy.

Is there a trick to these?? when seated in should they be even with the glass or a little above?

Should I dry them off or what ??

Thanks So Much!!!

Brian

Sanitize a couple pieces of aluminum foil and put those over the carboy openings, then let the stoppers air dry.

You could just leave the aluminum foil on and forget about the stoppers. I like to use stoppers though in case of the occasional stray fruit fly.

Use the foil until you can buy carboy caps designed specifically to fit the 6.5 gal. carboys. The caps last forever and are worth the modest cost. Don't know what to tell you about the stoppers, as I have never used them on carboys. Plastic wrap will also work if you don't have any foil handy. I would use a loosely fitting rubber band around the plastic wrap to hold it in place. Don't seal it so tightly that the CO2 cannot escape.

i did a stout in my 9 gallon demijohn for the first time. the stopper kept popping out so i put some aluminum foil on their and forgot about it. beer turned out great.

I remember having that issue when I used carboys. I think what I did was buy some #6.5 stoppers. If I remember correctly.

I place my stoppers in the hole, once they are dry I push them in further.

Back