Carboy's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
A house down the street had two 5 gallon glass carboys sitting in front of the house with a free sign on them. What the heck, I took them. If nothing else, they can store my cleaner and sanitizer for when I need them. I kinda like the idea of being able to see what is going on in the fermentation, so this should be fun. I know that glass can get slippery, so I am going to buy the straps to carry them. Also, I will need the racking cane to get them either into a bottling bucket or into the bottles or keg. Either way, free is free and I thought, why not. LOL. And now I can have up to 4 beers going at one time, now how's that, I can screw up 4 beers now instead of 2. LOL. Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No real point to my post other than I am on about 2 hour sleep and my second beer. LOL

Congrats on the free stuff! :mug:

Now, given the big chunk of glass that has to hold roughly 40 pounds of liquid it's advisable to give them a really good cleaning and then give them an equally good inspection with appropriate lighting to check for cracks and divots before use.

And never subject them to rapid temperature changes as repeated thermal stress will eventually lead to the bottom literally falling off. Super bad juju.

fwiw, I ferment in 6.5 gallon italian carboys and never put anything in them more than 5°F warmer than the current temperature of the glass. That includes after removing them from a cold crash where they're sitting at 35-36°F and even "room temperature" water would be a hella big shock. So after kegging I let the carboys warm up on their own before cleaning them - using room temperature water and either OxyClean Free or PBW...

Cheers!

Congrats on the free stuff! :mug:

Now, given the big chunk of glass that has to hold roughly 40 pounds of liquid it's advisable to give them a really good cleaning and then give them an equally good inspection with appropriate lighting to check for cracks and divots before use.

And never subject them to rapid temperature changes as repeated thermal stress will eventually lead to the bottom literally falling off. Super bad juju.

fwiw, I ferment in 6.5 gallon italian carboys and never put anything in them more than 5°F warmer than the current temperature of the glass. That includes after removing them from a cold crash where they're sitting at 35-36°F and even "room temperature" water would be a hella big shock. So after kegging I let the carboys warm up on their own before cleaning them - using room temperature water and either OxyClean Free or PBW...

Cheers!
Awesome info. thanks. I am not sure what I am going to do with them, but like I said, free is a pretty good damn price. LOL Rock On!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back